Garlic!

altoidman

aka McCartyman
I really wish I had found this stuff 20 years ago, but I also doubt they made it 20 years ago...

Just melt it slowly in a little EVOO and BAM!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394400352.959559.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394400352.959559.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 41
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394400382.599974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394400382.599974.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 39
Just me, i find the pre-crushed garlic to be kinda bitter in taste compared to the stuff i abuse by hand.

My wife and I abuse the hell out of garlic in all forms. We're safe from vampires here. If a recipe calls for one measuring unit of garlic it usually ends up being increased to 10. LOL

We have a bread making biz near our office that cranks up around 7 pm or so with their garlic bread. I just go stand outside and inhale the goodness that is garlic and butter.

You can't beat fresh, but if you are in a hurry it works.

I use a similar product for ginger. It has the same limitations, but man fresh ginger is a PITA to work with and I always end up wasting a lot.

As Anthony Bourdain said:
“Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic.”

Reactions: DFB
“Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic.”

Bourdain is of course a huge garlic snob. He hates garlic presses too.

But it's true that freshly chopped/minced garlic makes a big difference.

I use a similar product for ginger. It has the same limitations, but man fresh ginger is a PITA to work with and I always end up wasting a lot.

You can always freeze the part of the root you don't use. Even frozen, it's still better than the alternatives.

Bourdain is of course a huge garlic snob. He hates garlic presses too.

What is the beef with presses? Too much juice lost?

I use one of these, I'm sure he'd hate it too - it is quite a bit closer to mincing than a press is though:

31QdKor78sL._SX300_.jpg

What is the beef with presses? Too much juice lost?

I use one of these, I'm sure he'd hate it too - it is quite a bit closer to mincing than a press is though:

31QdKor78sL._SX300_.jpg

I'm not sure. Speaking just for myself, I like the little extra bursts of flavor that happen when chewing food that has discrete chunks of garlic in it. You don't get that as much with pressed garlic or the stuff from a jar. It's still adds the garlic flavor, but it doesn't have its own presence in the food.

I keep a couple of those (and some other herbs) in my freezer for when I make something on the fly. I don't like a lot of garlic, so one cube is more than enough. Even when I go a great job of cooking every meal fresh for a week I'll rarely use more than single clove.

this man speaks the truth

Back