G&L guitars

I've owned 2 ASATs. One made when Leo was alive and one made just after he passed. Both american. One ebony and one maple FB. They were very fine guitars that sounded great. I loved the pick-ups. The quality and workmanship was outstanding. The thing is I never bonded with the necks. Just to thin for me.

this is the one I want, like a pine keef model

I like their headstocks, just more proof its not that hard to molest a Fender headstock
and make it look good. Not sure why others manipulate them into a failboat.

Reactions: Tig
I've had a couple of G&Ls in the past (a Tribute ASAT Classic, and a Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow). Both were nicely made guitars, and the MFD pickups sounded great IMO. The reason they were let go? I didn't like the necks - they were too thin for my taste. I like chunkier necks, since I play with my thumb behind the neck classical guitar style. Unfortunately because G&Ls aren't very common around here (used ones show up for sale very seldom, and the one local G&L dealer doesn't stock many of them [and has an aversion to doing trades]), I had to buy the guitars on-line, and as a result, didn't find out about the necks, until the guitars arrived. It turns out that G&L only offers chunkier necks, as a custom option on their US made guitars, when you order one. With lower priced Tributes, you're stuck with the thinner necks. :(

I wouldn't mind having another G&L (although admittedly, my Esquire with it's Don Mare Twangzilla pickup, and killer setup, pretty much makes an ASAT superfluous to my Tele needs), but not if I have to spend a bundle on a USA made custom shop one, only to find out the neck still isn't to my liking.

The Tribute bodies and necks are made by Cort, X-Korea now Indonesia. Same folks that make the Fender Special Editions. According to what I've read everything else is made, assembled and set up by G&L in the U.S. I've also got three Fender branded Cort Teles. Pretty good stuff actually. I like the pick ups in particular on this one. Not so fond of the bridge so I'm thinking about a Gotoh 6 saddle for it.

G&L Tribute Blues Boy

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
There used to be a music store in town that had them. I thought they were really nice. Now that the store is closed, I have no idea where to find one.

The thing is I never bonded with the necks. Just to thin for me.
This comes up a lot, and it's interesting to me. When I received my ASAT , I thought.."CRAP! This has a waaaay thicker neck than I thought it would." It plays perfectly great, but after reading so many comments like that I was expecting a razor thin neck.

Back