G&L guitars

Cause most people hate their beautiful headstock?

The examples I've owned over the years have been amazing. LOVE the vibrato unit on the USA versions (not sure if the imports are the same or not).

A friend has a custom one in gold sparkle with the crazy split pickups. Nice guitar, plays and sounds great. It is oddly heavy though for a Strat type guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I haven't had much opportunity to try them out. I do own an ASAT Bass, which is a great instrument. There are a couple of dealers around, but they don't seem to stock the ones I'm interested in, namely the ASAT Special, F100, and SC2.

Because G&L isn’t well known the guitars have poor resale value. This makes them pretty unpopular with the guitar forum crowd.

I love mine. I've got it up for sale because I never play it. But it's an outstanding instrument. I probably won't end up selling it.

I was gassing for a Bluesboy for a while. If I had an acute of money, I might get one. A friend had a strat-style G&L. Verrrrry nice guitar, that was.

I had an American S-500 that I sold. It was a wonderful guitar, however I discovered single-coiled Strats aren't for me.

The guitar itself was flawless

Cause most people hate their beautiful headstock?

The examples I've owned over the years have been amazing. LOVE the vibrato unit on the USA versions (not sure if the imports are the same or not).

G&L is actually the impetus behind the "all headstocks are beautiful" campaign. They make excellent instruments that play better than their bigger brand counterparts. That idiot forumites would discount them because of a small cut that has no tonal bearing is sheer lunacy.

I love my ASAT Classic. I don't discuss it because the bottom line is that it is a Tele made by Leo Fender company before he passed. Much of the G&L line are or Tele or Strat variations and as the head Wein stated, not as popular.

I want this so bad…

GL2.jpg

i've owned two G&Ls Legacy models. both seemed very well put-together, though one of them had a tinted neck that looked pretty poorly applied up close and was actually orange in spots (a minor thing for me, but i could see someone getting put off by that). both were pretty heavy for strat-types. the stock pickups in both were what i'd describe as "hi-fi"; very clear and articulate, but fairly sterile in my opinion. if i had held onto either, then i would have swapped pickups eventually. if i were in the market for another strat-type, then i might look at a G&L again, but i'd want to play it first (not any around in the local shops) and doubt i'd like the pickups that much. lots of other brands out there that knock my socks off though, so i'd probably find my next strat-type before ever picking up another G&L

wGnL_LegacyDeluxe-001.jpg

wGnL_LegacyHB_Tobacco-001.jpg

Reactions: Tig
i've owned two G&Ls Legacy models. both seemed very well put-together, though one of them had a tinted neck that looked pretty poorly applied up close and was actually orange in spots (a minor thing for me, but i could see someone getting put off by that). both were pretty heavy for strat-types. the stock pickups in both were what i'd describe as "hi-fi"; very clear and articulate, but fairly sterile in my opinion. if i had held onto either, then i would have swapped pickups eventually. if i were in the market for another strat-type, then i might look at a G&L again, but i'd want to play it first (not any around in the local shops) and doubt i'd like the pickups that much. lots of other brands out there that knock my socks off though, so i'd probably find my next strat-type before ever picking up another G&L

wGnL_LegacyDeluxe-001.jpg

HOT!!! :love: drool0

:love: mine! ASAT Special Tribute (Tele style). It makes me want to pick it up and play, which is a very good thing.:thu:

This brings in Music Man. Way off the charts for most people. You pretty much had to be aware of the Fender drama early on to know why MM and G&L were important/really good. Since they didn't mass produce like the big boys per se, there's a lot less exposure for players who might like them.

Last edited:
Back