G&L Doheny

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
s0QPQuq.jpg

So uh, what's a Doheny?

Pretty cool. I imagine with MFD's and the G&L bridge, it's not really going to sound like a JM. I always wondered why Leo didn't use that shape on any of the G&L's he made.

Pretty cool. I imagine with MFD's and the G&L bridge, it's not really going to sound like a JM. I always wondered why Leo didn't use that shape on any of the G&L's he made.

Yeah, I was wondering how the pups would be voiced. More traditional "mellow" JM or more thick and slightly less bitey (in the bridge) and slightly fuller (in the neck) as on an ASAT (as compared to a traditional Tele). Still not an off-set fan, but I'd rather buy a G&L over a Fender on most days.

Very nice, just not my cup of tea. I have never liked that style of guitar.

this still kills me because of how similar the Reverend body is to the JM.

rev.jpg

Its really only the curve on the bottom side of the guitar. The Rev's curve is closer to the neck and the JM's is closer to the bridge. The resemblance to a JM is why I loved the original Reverends.

I am a huge G&L fan. My favorite guitars ever have been my G&L's and my Reverends. Both tend to play great and both sound how I think a guitar should sound.

this still kills me because of how similar the Reverend body is to the JM.

View attachment 35975

Its really only the curve on the bottom side of the guitar. The Rev's curve is closer to the neck and the JM's is closer to the bridge. The resemblance to a JM is why I loved the original Reverends.

Yeah, I know right. I don't know why but despite the similarities they don't look similar to me. I think it's a combination of the oversized terrible looking fender attempt at a p-90 + the pickgaurd shape+ the input jack placement, and the look of the tremolo on most of those guitars. I really dislike that term unit, it looks janky as hell.

I also don't own any Reverends built on the body shape. My solid bodies are all but on the Charger platform and the Eastsider is a Tele body shape.

It's an Irish surname, but what it's significance is I do not know...

For those of you who think TGP is worthless, well you're wrong. Urizen (remember that guy?!), says it's named for Doheny Beach, which was name checked in the Beach Boys' "Surfin USA". Wiki tells me Edward Doheny was an oil tycoon in California and the beach was named for him. Apparently, Upton Sinclair's lesser known book, "Oil!" was written about him. So there you go. :tongue:

Back