Funny quote from Tom Petty about the music business.

Do you hate American Idol for the singing or for the horrible popularity contest with caricature judges?

I would argue the singing is generally good, though I don't have much patience for the show-off high notes and scale runs.

So here's the thing: If you agree with me, you don't hate the music at all. You hate the format in which it is presented. .

Pretty much this. (Oh, and though I was not a HUGE fan or anything, I enjoyed some Monkees. I was a little kid watching saturday morning TV so I fit the demographic.) As for AI and The Voice, etc., I get what Tom, and Grohl, are saying about shows like that. But sometimes the statements seem pretty self serving. As others have said, Petty was not so hot in the early days. And though I really like Grohl and his work, he can be a bit self serving at times beating his drum about old school stuff. I get what he is saying, but his path is not the only path.

And on AI and the Voice some of the singing and talent is pretty good. My daughter really got into The Voice, so I watch it with her and my wife, as it is a way to spend time with them. I personally enjoy more the earlier episodes when they are doing the blind auditions, and winnowing down the teams. Seems like we see more about the artists then. After that, it seems like nearly all of the remaining artists start modifying their styles to include runs or big huge notes, even if that is not what makes them a strong artist. I always pull for the ones that stay more true to their own strengths as the competition goes on.

I have never watched it, so I wouldn't know.

Me neither, either.

It's a game show to me. It's hosted like one, structured like one and staged like one. Sprinkle it with contestants and, voila, game show. My TV went to AmVets and I'm not sure I did them a favor. Grown men talk about it at work. When it first came out it was all everyone spoke of. What a grip TV can put on people.

It's always interesting to hear when an artist hates their own work. IMO, while the albums themselves may be a bit weak, there are a few incredible songs on "She's the One" and "Echo". Including a great version of Beck's "Asshole".

I haven't listen to She's the One is forever, but I remember it being in my CD player for a very long time, so I must have liked it.

1f5744c531d65a722bc1584e8afefbff.jpg

I don't give a crap what some of these dipshits on here say. The music of the 60's and 70's was better. Anyone that denies the truth in what Tom Petty said is just some hipster asshole who wants to appear open-minded and not judgemental toward the new music like their parents were. Screw that. The truth is the truth.

I don't give a crap what some of these dipshits on here say. The music of the 60's and 70's was better. Anyone that denies the truth in what Tom Petty said is just some hipster asshole who wants to appear open-minded and not judgemental toward the new music like their parents were. Screw that. The truth is the truth.

No, I'm pretty sure you're just a judgmental asshole. :shrug:

Ella:

Fitzgerald made her singing debut at age 17 on November 21, 1934,[10] at the Apollo Theaterin Harlem, New York.[11] She pulled in a weekly audience at the Apollo and won the opportunity to compete in one of the earliest of its famous "Amateur Nights". She had originally intended to go on stage and dance, but, intimidated by the Edwards Sisters, a local dance duo, she opted to sing instead in the style of Connee Boswell.[11][12] She sang Boswell's "Judy" and "The Object of My Affection", a song recorded by the Boswell Sisters, and won the first prize of US $25.00.[13]

In January 1935, Fitzgerald won the chance to perform for a week with the Tiny Bradshawband at the Harlem Opera House.[10] She met drummer and bandleader Chick Webb there. Webb had already hired singer Charlie Linton to work with the band and was, The New York Times later wrote, "reluctant to sign her....because she was gawky and unkempt, a 'diamond in the rough'."[1] Webb offered her the opportunity to test with his band when they played a dance at Yale University.[10] She began singing regularly with his orchestra throughout 1935 at Harlem's Savoy Ballroom.[10] Fitzgerald recorded several hit songs with them, including "Love and Kisses" and "(If You Can't Sing It) You'll Have to Swing It (Mr. Paganini)".[10] But it was her 1938 version of the nursery rhyme, "A-Tisket, A-Tasket", a song she co-wrote, that brought her wide public acclaim.[14][15]

Yeah, but somewhere out there, Duke Ellington and Beethoven are sharing a joint and being like "who's this Tom Petty asshole and what right does he have to be self-righteous about this rock music fad?".

Is his generation the generation that had Hendrix open for a TV show band or was that a different generation?
The guy who arranged that booking may have been from a previous generation...some old fart who didn't know much about Hendrix other than he was "happening" at that moment.

Yeah, but somewhere out there, Duke Ellington and Beethoven are sharing a joint and being like "who's this Tom Petty asshole and what right does he have to be self-righteous about this rock music fad?".
Perhaps, but the "fad" is still around, albeit gone underground; and it's still better than some network TV glorified Karaoke contest. There I go, being judgmental again.:wink:

Back