Funny quote from Tom Petty about the music business.

One realization I have made in the last couple years is just because I don't like something doesn't mean it sucks.

I really don't like anything on radio. I fucking hate Kanye, Katy Perry and whomever the fuck the kids are listening to.

But more people on earth listen to Kanye than Black Sabbath. I happen to think Black Sabbath is better than Kanye.

I don't have to be right anymore. I'd rather listen to Black Sabbath while the rest of the world thinks it's garbage than listen to one fucking note of Kanye.
I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and was looking in the $4 cd section. Picked up all the early Ozzy era cds, except for 13. At 51, been listening to them since I was very young.

So I was at my folk's house this weekend and I took a look at their CD rack. My dad was born in 51 and my mom in 52 so they are n Tom's generation. They had a Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Taylor Hicks cd. Their favorite shows are American Idol, the Voice and America's got Talent. The only times I have ever seen those shows are when I am at their house, so what did he say about his generation?

So I was at my folk's house this weekend and I took a look at their CD rack. My dad was born in 51 and my mom in 52 so they are n Tom's generation. They had a Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Taylor Hicks cd. Their favorite shows are American Idol, the Voice and America's got Talent. The only times I have ever seen those shows are when I am at their house, so what did he say about his generation?
Interesting. I wonder what they listened to "back in the day"?

This. This is EXACTLY what I am saying to you.

Interesting. I wonder what they listened to "back in the day"?
My dad listened to The Beatles, CSN, Buffalo Springfield, Neil Young, The Eagles, Tom Petty, Fleetwod Mac mostly stuff like that. I am sure you've seen the pic I have posted of him playing guitar with me on his lap and the George Harrison poster on the wall behind him. My mom listened to whatever was on the radio, she is just a casual music fan like 90% of the people out there. My dad was a teacher and every year they had a faculty band for some school event and I always played whatever instrument was covered. We even played "I Won't Back Down" at one of them. One year we played "Whip It."

It sounds like your dad was pretty eclectic. I think a lot of people just listened to what the radio fed them and continue to do so; your dad not so much.

As for me, there is no way I would ever watch American Idol, The Voice, or any of those other shows. I have heard some Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Hicks, but they don't do it for me.

One always has to be careful in making generational generalities. I think I've mentioned that my wife likes to do the "Our music was wonderful, today's music sucks" thing; that is maybe our major source of disagreement. While a lot of today's music doesn't thrill me, that says more about my tastes, likes, and dislikes than it does about the music.

Food for thought:

Do you hate the Monkees for the music or for the fakeness?

I would argue the songs were pretty darn good pop tunes. Yeah, I know those four guys didn't write or play them. The people who really did probably weren't as young and cute but they did some good work.

Do you hate American Idol for the singing or for the horrible popularity contest with caricature judges?

I would argue the singing is generally good, though I don't have much patience for the show-off high notes and scale runs.

So here's the thing: If you agree with me, you don't hate the music at all. You hate the format in which it is presented. Maybe it's not fair that good music or musicianship requires that sort of visual polish and marketing to get heard. I'll be indignant about it as soon as Steve Vai turns off the stage fans.

I rather liked the Monkees. Some of the songs were lame( Can you say Daydream Believer? I knew you could) but they sounded nice. My problem with AI and the like is my problem with competition in general. I will not watch or participate in talent competitions. As for the winners of those shows, I haven't heard much from them that I like, but that, again, is a matter of my tastes and not their talent.

Fake or not, "Last train to Clarkesville" is a great tune.
I totally agree on that! I liked I'm A Believer as well. As stated above, Daydream Believer grated on my nerves and got played 10 times a day.

There were some talented folks in the Monkees, but the producers screwed them over.

I dig the Monkees. They had some great tunes, even if they didn't write most of them or play the instruments you hear on the record. But the Headquarters album is mostly them, playing their own instruments, with minimal session player help, and it holds up as well as anything else they did. There's a pretty good box set -- the Headquarters Sessions -- that documents the recording of that album.

As for stuff like American Idol, I don't watch it because I just can't stand that vocal style where every pause in a song is an excuse for the singer to sing a run of random notes with her eyes closed and her hands going up and down like she's playing an invisible theramin.

As for stuff like American Idol, I don't watch it because I just can't stand that vocal style where every pause in a song is an excuse for the singer to sing a run of random notes with her eyes closed and her hands going up and down like she's playing an invisible theramin.
The Mariah Effect.

Back