Funny quote from Tom Petty about the music business.

Those people were laughed out of the room by any serious music fan over the age of 12.
Tom is right, at least for people at that time who really cared about music.

Not sure about back then but now the buying audience is 12 and under I think. Those who care about music dont seem to buy as much as those who just want to listen to it.

image.jpg

The world needs ditch diggers too.

Some shit bands make it big, some awesome bands languish in obscurity.

Regardless of the current trends, this remains true.

Most music fans want background noise for the party and a good beat for the dance floor.
"Serious" music fans are and always have been the minority.
Just like Chevy sells more than Mercedes and Stephen King sells more that Saul Bellow.
Petty is addressing a group of listeners who don't buy his music anyway.

Taylor Hawkins when he was once asked how it felt to be a rock star. “I’m not a rock star. I’m a musician.”

I will simply say that I saw Adam Lambert with Queen the other evening, and the show was spectacular. He's an absolute talent, and I honestly can't think of a vocalist who would be better suited to work with those guys at the present time. Some people are just talented, and need some sort of delivery vehicle to showcase that talent. What's the big deal if he used American Idol to do that?

Most music fans want background noise for the party and a good beat for the dance floor.
"Serious" music fans are and always have been the minority.
Just like Chevy sells more than Mercedes and Stephen King sells more that Saul Bellow.
Petty is addressing a group of listeners who don't buy his music anyway.
Yeah, but his distinction was more about people making music than simply being famous.

Yeah -- perhaps I was a bit harsh in my initial assessment. Much as I despise the asshats that do the "judging" on those shows (whether that be celebrity asshats or the great unwashed hoi polloi) I do have to admit that some of the talent (e.g. the aformentioned Lambert, Kelly Clarkson, etc.) really are talented. However, I'm convinced that most of those would have eventually risen to the top even without the circus...

With the exception of Clarkson, it seems like it's better to finish in the top 4 or 5 instead of winning. The winner is subject to some seemingly ridiculous contract with Fox's subsidiary which I imagine dictates what the forthcoming CD will contain. The other folks seem to get the advantage of exposure without all of that, allowing them to pursue something more in line with what they want to do.

I have no facts to back any of that up...just an observation. Like Clarkson, Justin Guarini is the exception. :wink:

I have my own, hippie-dippy views about music competitions and refuse to participate or watch them. What others do is fine, but I have no use for them. I am sure some great musicians have been on them.

Did anyone ever make it big off the old versions of these shows like the Gong Show or others? Seems like these talent shows aren't really a new thing but just repackaged for today's audience.

Then there were shows like American Bandstand. They had talent that had already released a record but were certainly judging the songs and offering up their "I like it, Dick. It's got a good beat and I can dance to it" every week.

Back