Funny quote from Tom Petty about the music business.

remind me again... who?

Oh yes, ... I remember. Quite well known thirty years ago, I believe.

That's a long time to live under a rock.

I wasn't much of a fan back when he was all over the radio, but the Live Anthology is in my top 20 albums of all time. The last three studio albums, Echo, The Last DJ, Mojo, were pretty damn good.

Last edited:
http://www.aoltv.com/2011/04/14/before-they-were-stars-12-celebs-who-got-their-start-on-star-s/

I know this isn't Petty ' s generation, but it illustrates the point. The Am. Idol generation isn't the only one to do this. People with talent want to be discovered and will do whatever needs to be done to do that. Perhaps it's not that his generation of listeners would have balked. Maybe it's that his generation of stars didn't have that as an option to fame because promoters had other methods that were working just fine.

While I love Tom, he is wrong. The Monkees sold tons of records, The Partridge Family, David Cassidy, Rick Springfield and I am sure there are others. While they weren't game show winners, they were on TV shows before hitting the charts. While I am not a fan of American Idol or the other shows, I think it was one of the greatest ideas ever. You let the audience select the winner, then you know the first record will sell millions and they probably make the contestants sign some kind of contract before you get going so the company makes most of the money.

I personally don't care how the people get their shot, if I like their music, I will buy it.

Previous generations could claim the same thing of MTV. Well, back when they played music, that is. MTV was a huge boost to groups like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

I see this not so much as a generational indictment as a statement on the state of the music business, and on the "reality show" culture.

There have been BS market created artists in every era of music. Technology has just made it easier now. With file sharing making sales drop the music companies are taking to any means possible to make money and exploit both the artist and the consumer. Same as it ever was.

While I love Tom, he is wrong. The Monkees sold tons of records, The Partridge Family, David Cassidy, Rick Springfield and I am sure there are others. While they weren't game show winners, they were on TV shows before hitting the charts. While I am not a fan of American Idol or the other shows, I think it was one of the greatest ideas ever. You let the audience select the winner, then you know the first record will sell millions and they probably make the contestants sign some kind of contract before you get going so the company makes most of the money.

I personally don't care how the people get their shot, if I like their music, I will buy it.

Those people were laughed out of the room by any serious music fan over the age of 12.
Tom is right, at least for people at that time who really cared about music.

Those people were laughed out of the room by any serious music fan over the age of 12.

Yet they had songwriters behind them who wrote for tons of other artists too and have lots of hits under their belts. I'd say it's about even.

Well if you add all of that, it is the same today. The people of this generation who buy American Idol music are the folks of Tom's generation who bought the Monkees and David Cassidy.

Well if you add all of that, it is the same today. The people of this generation who buy American Idol music are the folks of Tom's generation who bought the Monkees and David Cassidy.

And the disdain of serious music fans continues.

Yet they had songwriters behind them who wrote for tons of other artists too and have lots of hits under their belts. I'd say it's about even.

Good point. Back then we laughed. Nowadays when one of those old radio hits comes on, we are more likely to wax nostalgic and listen to the craftsmanship behind it.

Back