Funny quote from Tom Petty about the music business.

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
10502287_294271157411164_7407797855701834713_n.jpg

But the music money isn't by people in music anymore. It isn't even about music, and it especially isn't about people in music.

Bullshit. People will buy anything if you sell it to them right.
While there were packaged acts in the 60's, they never gained the level of credibility that these acts have now. I remember the flak that The Monkees got. Their stuff sold to the teenyboppers, but they couldn't hardly sell anything solo when the band broke up because they were seen as the "Prefab Four." Ironically, Stephen Stills had auditioned for the Monkees; it might have killed his career.

If you buy into the whole "side with my generation" thing, you are a groupthinking sucker. You will continue to be the prey of corporate marketing departments that once sold you The Monkees and now sell you insurance annuities.

If you buy into the whole "side with my generation" thing, you are a groupthinking sucker. You will continue to be the prey of corporate marketing departments that once sold you The Monkees and now sell you insurance annuities.
I am not one of those. My wife gets mad at me because I call bullshit when she starts with the "our generation's music was the best." But. in the 60's, there was a brief period when music broke free from the industry before the industry got it corralled again.

Self-congratulatory baby boomer exceptionalist nonsense. He's just trying to sell records to his aging fan base by stroking their egos.

Perhaps, but he still has more talent in his pinkie than all of the American Idol. etc winners put together...

Reactions: Tig
Back in the 70's there were talent shows on tv regularly. Anyone remember the Commodores? Yeah, well they got their start by winning a talent contest. I'm afraid he's burnt to many brain cells if he doesn't remember that.

One realization I have made in the last couple years is just because I don't like something doesn't mean it sucks.

I really don't like anything on radio. I fucking hate Kanye, Katy Perry and whomever the fuck the kids are listening to.

But more people on earth listen to Kanye than Black Sabbath. I happen to think Black Sabbath is better than Kanye.

I don't have to be right anymore. I'd rather listen to Black Sabbath while the rest of the world thinks it's garbage than listen to one fucking note of Kanye.

Perhaps, but he still has more talent in his pinkie than all of the American Idol. etc winners put together...

So does my UPS guy (I heard him singing in his truck the other day, not bad). That still doesn't make what he's saying true.

Self-congratulatory baby boomer exceptionalist nonsense. He's just trying to sell records to his aging fan base by stroking their egos.

I like Petty and those from his (my) generation but this is pretty accurate in my opinion. Other musicians wouldn't have liked it much, maybe they dont now. But people will buy what they have been told they like.

Back