fun with time lapse (aka what building guitars is really like)

My mind would go numb. Do the big Asian factories have a robot that does the sanding?

I like the spray-before-you-sand technique. I’ve never seen that before but it’s smart.

That's the beauty of a hand built guitar; not all the radius edges are done with a router, so every guitar is ever so slightly different from the next.
I have to sell some guitars and get a Kauer.

One of these:
tofkfjqx2xclddfsvmnv.jpg

Or one of these:
9282d35455f083ac74a637b5cc9c109e_large.JPG

Or one of these:
original.jpg

My mind would go numb. Do the big Asian factories have a robot that does the sanding?

I like the spray-before-you-sand technique. I’ve never seen that before but it’s smart.

No. But they do use idiot-proof techniques, very powerful sanders and thick-ass finishes to hide the flaws.

I was amazed what I saw under the finish on the prs SE. What appeared to be a fairly well matched set of maybe 2-3 boards was actually 7 pieces that might as well have been different species of wood, they were so poorly matched. A semi-opaque finish made from bomb-proof plastic hides many flaws.

B Valley I still do the edges with a router first but the more you sand the more radius you lose.

This is getting a TV finish so it has to be perfect before color goes down. So four trips around sanded up to 320 before the booth.

Normal stuff goes to 240. The guide coat really helps because Spanish cedar is a bit soft it's easy to pick up scratches and small dents from machining, handling ect. I've toyed with using cnc chucked flap discs to sand the edges but honestly a good fresh cutter leaves them pretty good. Some woods require less work than others though.

I was amazed what I saw under the finish on the prs SE. What appeared to be a fairly well matched set of maybe 2-3 boards was actually 7 pieces that might as well have been different species of wood, they were so poorly matched. A semi-opaque finish made from bomb-proof plastic hides many flaws.

Did you consider refinishing in something properly transparent and selling it to me?

In fact, does anyone have a modestly-priced double humbucker guitar made of many poorly-matched blocks with a transparent finish to sell? Maybe an Epiphone SG or something? Shippable to Europe?

I seriously think that would be Most Punk Rock.

@wok... I only use the disc sander for the front and back surfaces. all the edges, curves, and tight areas around neck pockets and such are done by hand. Make sure you wear a mask when sanding.... that shit's not good for your lungs.

I have to get one of those electric sanders with the triangle tip.

Did you consider refinishing in something properly transparent and selling it to me?

In fact, does anyone have a modestly-priced double humbucker guitar made of many poorly-matched blocks with a transparent finish to sell? Maybe an Epiphone SG or something? Shippable to Europe?

I seriously think that would be Most Punk Rock.

Make a body from Ikea butcherblock.

@wok... I only use the disc sander for the front and back surfaces. all the edges, curves, and tight areas around neck pockets and such are done by hand. Make sure you wear a mask when sanding.... that shit's not good for your lungs.

good advice. I wear a mask especially with Spanish Cedar. Oily nasty stuff. I typically rough the radius with 120, 180 but on the 240 / 320 passes I do both the small dynabrade then go over it by hand too.

Of course I wear a mask.

Speaking of which, ladt night I was working with sanding sealer. Had a bad headache after, nasty stuff

Back