Fryette Valvulator GP/DI: Where has this been all my life?

Eight hundred bucks? You know that the Mesa Mark V mini head has the Mesa Direct box/cab sim built in for a grand.... and it's also a 25 watt amp with reverb.

I wanted one of these years ago when I was in an apartment and still played guitar.

Hmmm... it's a bit expensive. I've been looking at lots of different direct recording gear of late. This would do everything in one package, but I don't know.

Eight hundred bucks? You know that the Mesa Mark V mini head has the Mesa Direct box/cab sim built in for a grand.... and it's also a 25 watt amp with reverb.

But I don't want a 10-watt or 25-watt amp, I want a 1-watt amp.

Hmmm... it's a bit expensive. I've been looking at lots of different direct recording gear of late. This would do everything in one package, but I don't know.
I agree...it's so convenient but right now I can't see me slapping down that type of money when what I'm using now works just fine albeit less convenient.

There are a lot of direct recording doohickeys floating about right now, but the ones with a loadbox are crazy expensive. I don't see how basically adding a resistor justifies the cost.
(Unless we're talking about a reactive load, which most of them are not.)

I don't see how basically adding a resistor justifies the cost.

In this case I think the value proposition is that it does a lot in one small package. There’s not another option with good cabinet emulation, a full tone stack, running on tubes, that is so small. If you have a house in the burbs that doesn’t matter much. But if you have a small apartment this thing is a nice alternative to a more expensive rack unit. Fryette will sell lots of these in cities like New York, San Francisco, London, and Tokyo.

In this case I think the value proposition is that it does a lot in one small package. There’s not another option with good cabinet emulation, a full tone stack, running on tubes, that is so small. If you have a house in the burbs that doesn’t matter much. But if you have a small apartment this thing is a nice alternative to a more expensive rack unit. Fryette will sell lots of these in cities like New York, San Francisco, London, and Tokyo.
Sure, but I wasn't talking about the Fryette specifically.
Take Palmer, for instance. Their speaker simulator direct box is $160, but their unit with a load box built in is $680.
Or the Two Notes Torpedo CAB speaker simulator is $495, while the one with the loadbox is $995.
The only one that's reasonably priced is the Mesa Cab Clone for $300, but it's gotten a few bad reviews.

Ordered!!!
15% off!
Should be here Monday!
I'm still not sure what this is.

Is this a regular amp, just in a rackmount configuration? Or can it only be used thru a board? Can you use it live if you run it thru a board?

I'm recording technology-impaired :grin: I've no idea what most of those gizmos do.

It's a 1-watt amp that can be used as a traditional head through a cab. But its main function is for direct recording, via its speaker emulated out. It also has an integrated reactive load, so you can record direct without having to connect to a speaker or external load box.

Back