Frogs' legs anyone?

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
We were at an upscale cajun place the other night, and on a whim I ordered the frogs' legs appetizer. Maybe the third time I've tried them - the last time years ago they were kinda weird and skinny and overwhelmingly buttery.

This time they were fried in a light batter and they were amazing! On the fishy-to-chickeny spectrum they were way over on the chicken end, very mild flavor. Texture just a little more delicate than chicken. Also, they were fat n' meaty. Not a "bizarre food" experience at all (although I still couldn't convince Mrs. Roach to try them).

I can't wait to go back up there so I can get those again - I may get a whole order to myself and treat it as the main course. :grin:

Anyone else dig 'em?

samgross.jpg

I've had them before......and yeah, they taste just like chicken.
Kind of like eating a skinny wing or something.

I don't know of anywhere up here in New England that serves them.....

It's one of those things that if I was in a restaurant that served them, I wouldn't go out of my way to order them (I'd just as soon order some real chicken wings....), but if I was at a southern-style picnic or something and they were there, I would probably have a couple.

Yeah, my maternal grandmother used to cook them lightly battered like that. They are OK when done right, but they have to compete with those fucking macho, steroid pumped chicken legs.

Mrs. T loves frogs and won't eat them.
frog-kermit.gif

I can't eat them.

Nothing against you.....I find it kind of amazing what people will or will not eat. Everyone has a limit....

My wife won't eat deer or buffalo.
She's part Native American and I always tell her she would make a lousy Indian.

:lol:

I try to sample everything....but there are some foods (especially some of the stuff Japanese people eat, some French and German foods, too) that I just can't bring myself to try.

I've had them a handful of times and would agree with your assessment. Done right they are quite good although I have had some that were just ok.

And as far as what people will or wont eat, I wouldn't say I am overly adventurous but would try most things unless they smell really bad or are just bizzare to begin with. My wife would absolutely not eat a frog leg and has issues with deer etc. I think she has tried gator tail but if she did, that will probably be the last time.

It's funny to me how so many people are like that in that they want what they are comfortable with. What they feel is safe. Yet commercial chicken/beef/fish is probably the least safe food we can eat any more.

Reactions: Tig
I'm only about a half hour from Calaveras County (if that), so if any of y'all come out to check out the jumping frogs stop by and say hi :lol:

Have never tried frog legs, but am not opposed. Deer are giant, crazy, pests and I wholeheartedly support the eating of them. :embarrassed:

Nothing against you.....I find it kind of amazing what people will or will not eat. Everyone has a limit....

My wife won't eat deer or buffalo.
She's part Native American and I always tell her she would make a lousy Indian.

:lol:

I try to sample everything....but there are some foods (especially some of the stuff Japanese people eat, some French and German foods, too) that I just can't bring myself to try.

For me, it all boils down to a kind of hippie-ish philosophy toward meat, which I admit is full of contradictions. In any case, I can't reconcile killing an animal for just its legs, and it's impossible for me to not think about that when I see those legs stretched out on a plate.

I'm also pretty picky about the source of the meats I buy, how the animal was raised and slaughtered, which is why I generally won't eat chicken at a restaurant.

Maybe they use the rest of the frog for cat food or something?

I have no idea; I'm just speculating here.

Well, a quick googling turned up a few articles that talk about how the legs are cut off while the frogs are still alive, while the top half of the torso is thrown on a pile of other dying frogs for disposal. I also saw a few articles that claim frogs are being pushed to extinction in the Asian countries that are the primary exporters of frog legs, with a resulting rise in mosquitoes. Moreover, those countries have brought in American bullfrogs to replace the diminishing native stock, and those bullfrogs are rapidly outbreeding and displacing native amphibian species, causing further damage to the environment.

I know... bleeding heart ecology stuff. But I'm not eating those frog legs.

I have never tried them, but I also don't recall ever eating some place where they were on the menu. I will try probably about any food selection once with a couple of exceptions.

My in-laws (from Salisbury, MD) have them in the summer during cookouts.

I assure you, they're free-range frogs.

So are the Muskrats. They're gluten-free, as well.

My dad cooked up a bunch of frogs my brother and I caught when we were kids, and I've probably ordered them somewhere along the way. Knowing that amphibians world-wide are on the decline, I probably wouldn't eat them again, unless it was to be polite.

Back