Fret hand discussion

I'd add the importance of having a straight wrist and a curved thumb.

Thumb position is, vertically speaking, entirely a question of pragmatics; what are you doing? If you're doing a lot of bending or are fretting with the thumb, then thumb over makes all the sense in the world. Otherwise, generally centred.

Semi-disagree with you on using the thumb for support. It's a pivot point, yes, but there should be zero pressure, and should not be used for "squeezing" the neck to fret.

Also, rock players don't really know how to do it, but you can absolutely play on the upper frets without wrapping your hand around the body. You have two options, and can choose between either thumb position, like a cellist would, or placing your thumb on the lower side of the fingerboard for support.

I in the world. Otherwise, generally centred.

Semi-disagree with you on using the thumb for support. It's a pivot point, yes, but there should be zero pressure, and should not be used for "squeezing" the neck to fret.

I agree that you shouldn't be squeezing the neck or creating excess pressure on the thumb but with some of the oblique bending that I do I need a little more support to keep the unbent strings in tune while I bend the moving note. But yeah, I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dammit! You make that look so effortless. My thumbs are both very weak and sore from arthritis so I've had to learn some "cheats" here and there but for the most part I follow the techniques you showed.

One thing you didn't touch on was the position of the guitar relative to "you". I used to do the Sid Vicious low slung down to my knees thing, but that makes for a very Bad hand position. Bringing the guitar higher up my torso made ALL the difference in the world and opened up playing styles I thought were beyond my ability.

Nice stuff. I found I came to a similar set up naturally when I really played. And that position varies as Flam discussed based on what and how I'm playing. Everything I've ever done has evolved based on what's needed to et the job done, some of through happy accident, some through lessons or lesson books pointing out different approaches and why they matter or are employed.

One of my favorite things about drums, guitar (include banjo, lute, oud, mandolin), piano, and bass is that there is a significantly greater leeway in how to get sounds out of the instruments. Other instruments are often approached a bit more dogmatically (although all sorts of "rules" are wonderfully broken by all sorts of musicians), but the ubiquity of these basic instruments in almost every style of music, has provided a broader range of accepted useful approaches.

One thing you didn't touch on was the position of the guitar relative to "you". I used to do the Sid Vicious low slung down to my knees thing, but that makes for a very Bad hand position. Bringing the guitar higher up my torso made ALL the difference in the world and opened up playing styles I thought were beyond my ability.
Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@Mark Wein Cool video! I wish I could get my fingers to point backwards towards the nut. I can get a really good stretch, and the lower half of my finger points in the correct direction, however, the upper half of my index finger had a bend and a twist that doesn't cooperate.

592-1482197607-b6f0b68c0ac0e9a13c78de26e1c7b662.jpg

It's from the injury that kept me from picking a guitar up for 2 years... but fortunately my hands are really big and I can compensate.. Tony Iomi and Django were able to play with missing apendages, I can get by with one that points the wrong direction.

593-1482197627-5330e9e27b3a638605e05f10e50c3f2f.jpg

Last edited:
563-1469799243-6721f7e3f4462c32bb7d20ce7824e041.jpg

When I first picked the guitar back up again after about a year and a half of therapy, I would fret some of my chords (like a D) where I would use middle, ring, and pinky instead of index, middle, ring. There are still a times I'll revert to that with my crooked index finger just sticking up in the air like a broken antenna.

In those two above, you can almost make out the scar that still runs across the top of my knuckle.

I agree with everything in the video and wish I could do it. I didn't pick up a guitar to play until I was 35 and by then due to very physical demands my military career required I simply beat the hell out of my hands fingers and wrists. Each year it catches up a little more. Although I try and do things correctly I often have to cheat. Holding my thumb the correct way like you showed I can't keep the up for over a few seconds before the pain causes me to shift.

I like that. You indicate your HCEG person wondered if it was "too late" to change. Not for me. After reviewing the vid, I see I still have some work to do in cleaning a few things up, but after working with you in lessons previously, my technique is light years from where it started. Yes it took time, but not "that much" in the grand scheme. Reminds me about what Warren Miller says in his ski movies about making a move to do more skiing, "Do it this year, or you will be one year older when you do.". :wink:

Reactions: OGG
Back