Free Stuff from Native Instruments...

Yeah, wow! It really does lay back on the hat to an obnoxious degree. Did you mess with the Velocity and/or Humanize knobs at all?

I didn't touch a thing...I just dropped the midi file into the track and cut and pasted some sections together. The grooves are as they were programmed.
Hmm..as a matter of interest, do you think these sound any better?

http://www.xlnaudio.com/products/view/58
a little bit.

I'm trying to figure out why all of these blues drum tracks are being played by Scandinavians. Northern Europe, home of the blues.

Actually Song 10 on that player has a groove I think would work. The package seems to have a ton more grooves and fills and whatnot too.

I'm trying to figure out why all of these blues drum tracks are being played by Scandinavians. Northern Europe, home of the blues.
:grin:

Actually Song 10 on that player has a groove I think would work. The package seems to have a ton more grooves and fills and whatnot too.

I really like the Addictive Drums stuff..it's really the same sort of thing as EZ drummer, just a personal preference. Just thinking..I don't actually have that Blues pak, but even if I did, I think it would only work if you had the main AD software.

I really like the Addictive Drums stuff..it's really the same sort of thing as EZ drummer, just a personal preference. Just thinking..I don't actually have that Blues pak, but even if I did, I think it would only work if you had the main AD software.
I was hoping that it would just be raw midi files that I could drag around. I'll investigate when I get to work. I have 10 backing tracks to crank out for the book and I was hoping to have them done before Christmas.

Watching my kids while working has not been a productivity enhancer either :embarrassed:

Thanks for the link, downloaded. Might have some time over the holidays to screw around with it. :cool:

I just read up and discovered that it won't work in EZ Drummer. Too bad getting addictive drums and the pack together would be about $150 since I already own EZ Drummer and bout the other drum pack for $29. :annoyed:

I just read up and discovered that it won't work in EZ Drummer. Too bad getting addictive drums and the pack together would be about $150 since I already own EZ Drummer and bout the other drum pack for $29. :annoyed:

:( If there is some way I can er, assist ( I own AD) let me know..I don't know how that would work, but if you do, let me know.

:( If there is some way I can er, assist ( I own AD) let me know..I don't know how that would work, but if you do, let me know.
I might just has to suck it up and buy it anyway. It's still cheaper than any other solution and i need to get this stuff done. :(

I might just has to suck it up and buy it anyway. It's still cheaper than any other solution and i need to get this stuff done. :(

There is some stuff out there about using a midi converter so that AD files work in EZ drummer and vice versa, but I don't know how reliable it is. Still, if you do end up buying AD, I think it's well worth it.

I
There is some stuff out there about using a midi converter so that AD files work in EZ drummer and vice versa, but I don't know how reliable it is. Still, if you do end up buying AD, I think it's well worth it.
read that you can go from Ez drummer to addicted ok but from AD to Ez drummer not so well.

I
I read that you can go from Ez drummer to addicted ok but from AD to Ez drummer not so well.

ok. All I did was pick a close enough sounding shuffle from the Bues Midi pack, drop it into the midi track and swap EZ Drummer for Addictive Drums as the plugin. And cut off everything after the last downbeat of my recording. I didn't touch a thing on the drum file and they are the same guitar and bass performances from before. I'm going to re-record it all to make it tighter but it shows you what a difference the correct feel makes.: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/p/shuffleAD.mp3

ok. All I did was pick a close enough sounding shuffle from the Bues Midi pack, drop it into the midi track and swap EZ Drummer for Addictive Drums as the plugin. And cut off everything after the last downbeat of my recording. I didn't touch a thing on the drum file and they are the same guitar and bass performances from before. I'm going to re-record it all to make it tighter but it shows you what a difference the correct feel makes.: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/p/shuffleAD.mp3

:cool: Those Northern Euro guys can shuffle :embarrassed:

Sounds great to these ears. My latest acquisition was the Apple Logic/Garageband AI drummer that tries to do some of this sort of thing. The funny thing is you can tell it "please try to follow the rhythms on this particular track" in a multitrack session and it can do some pretty nice stuff. But if the track it's trying to follow has a lot of complexity it might drive a lesser computer (one track took my i7 equipped machine into conniptions). It basically has four "Rock" drummer "personalities", four "Alternative" personalities, four "Songwriter" personalities and two R&B "personalities". Each personality is given a name and then a "trait" such as "influenced by modern rock, but comfortable with most genres, Kyle plays straightforward rock beats on a natural, versatile kit." Some of the rock ones are more like "Animal" from the muppet show than others. Some of the songwriter ones are predictably restrained and some of the R&B ones are suitably funky. There's a dial so you can crank up the fills or reduce them, there's also a way to make a groove swing more or less, and also a way of going to a 1/2 time feel or double. it's kind of slick especially for doing demos. I dropped one of the heavier drummers into a demo of mine where I previously had a beatbox and it made it much more listenable and what's more it was following my chord progression like it was "listening" to what I was doing. Pretty cool. I really want to try Superior Drummer though.

Sounds great to these ears. My latest acquisition was the Apple Logic/Garageband AI drummer that tries to do some of this sort of thing. The funny thing is you can tell it "please try to follow the rhythms on this particular track" in a multitrack session and it can do some pretty nice stuff. But if the track it's trying to follow has a lot of complexity it might drive a lesser computer (one track took my i7 equipped machine into conniptions). It basically has four "Rock" drummer "personalities", four "Alternative" personalities, four "Songwriter" personalities and two R&B "personalities". Each personality is given a name and then a "trait" such as "influenced by modern rock, but comfortable with most genres, Kyle plays straightforward rock beats on a natural, versatile kit." Some of the rock ones are more like "Animal" from the muppet show than others. Some of the songwriter ones are predictably restrained and some of the R&B ones are suitably funky. There's a dial so you can crank up the fills or reduce them, there's also a way to make a groove swing more or less, and also a way of going to a 1/2 time feel or double. it's kind of slick especially for doing demos. I dropped one of the heavier drummers into a demo of mine where I previously had a beatbox and it made it much more listenable and what's more it was following my chord progression like it was "listening" to what I was doing. Pretty cool. I really want to try Superior Drummer though.
Thats pretty crazy!

My computer is this:

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 4.10.13 PM.png

I don't think it would handle what you've got going on there.

I grabbed the compressor too. Nice deal for me.

Actually Mark I think it might possibly handle it fine for most things. I copied an MP3 of Frank Zappa's "The Black Page" (probably a really bad idea) into a blank track and told the AI drummer to try and follow it (my own fault I know). I have to try and break things I guess since that tune is very rhythmically complex.

But for most things I think your computer would do fine. Actually, let me post an mp3 of a tune I did with just bass guitar and the AI drummer "following me" live....

http://madsound.dyndns.org/anders.mp3

That was the "Anders" personality but I edited it a bit to not have so much reverb on the drums. And I was playing similar lines on the bass to see if it would repeat itself in an obvious way. I told it to do some fills but not a ton of them.

Last edited:
Back