Free Music Downloads

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PunkKitty, May 30, 2011.

May 30, 2011
  1. PunkKitty Uppity bitchy old cat

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to post free music downloads in. For example, here's a freebee from WXRT radio in Chicago. It's a collection of cover songs that were done by Radiohead. Lots of great covers of Neal Young, Can, The Smiths, Portishead, Joy Division, Pink Floyd and others.
  2. May 30, 2011
  3. Mark Wein :mad:

Cool! As long as they are legal downloads I think this is a great idea for a thread...
  4. May 30, 2011
  5. PunkKitty Uppity bitchy old cat

I wouldn't share the link if it wasn't legal. Would this be a good candidate for a sticky? Or maybe just put it in the Classic Threads thread.
  6. May 30, 2011
  7. Mark Wein :mad:

I know...it was just a polite reminder to folks who take up posting in this thread to keep it above board. The fact that your link was to a radio station was my first clue :p

I'll sticky it this week and see how it goes...
  8. May 30, 2011
  9. May 30, 2011
  10. Mark Wein :mad:

:cool:

This might end up being a pretty popular feature!
  11. May 30, 2011
  12. Jeremy Also no borders.

13. May 30, 2011
  14. May 30, 2011
  15. Peeker flying asshat mobile

awesome idea!
  16. Jun 1, 2011
  17. marc758 stardog champion

Thanks PK. I love Radiohead. I didn't have some of those.
  18. Jun 15, 2011
  19. hobo simple guitar player

CAUTION, USERS HAVE REPORTED MALWARE/ATTACKS FROM THE USE OF THE WEBSITE THAT WAS PROVIDED IN THIS POST. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

I have removed the link. The site can still be found, if you want to give it a go, by typing www, a dot, the word bearshare, and a dot com at the end. Again, others have reported attacks on their machines from this site, so please proceed with the utmost caution.

I'm sure this post from hobo had no malicious intent , but you may still want to run a quick scan of your machine if you spent time on this link.

Thanks,
    Tiltsta and Trevan
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
  20. Aug 3, 2011
  21. PunkKitty Uppity bitchy old cat

22. Aug 7, 2011
  23. Here's a free album download by the band The Sheepdogs. They are becoming really popular and have been recently featured on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

check them here and download their album, Big Stand, for free.

Sheepdogs
  24. Aug 7, 2011
  25. Cool. Hadn't heard of these guys until the ruckus around being the first independent to be on the cover... Canadian too!

I heard them on the radio the other day while I was channel surfing outside the range of my usual stations. Didn't know who it was until the dj announced it afterwards. I enjoyed the tune...
  26. Aug 8, 2011
  27. Yeah they have a Guess Who vibe going
  28. Sep 5, 2011
  29. Oct 3, 2011
  30. aliensporebomb Fretted instrument fan

If any of you happen to have access to Spotify my cd "This is Aliensporebomb" is available there for streaming free of charge. Took about 5 years to put together and it's basically my idea of a soundtrack for a film that doesn't exist.
  31. Nov 10, 2011
  32. A sampler of High definition FLAC audio files can be had here for the cost of your e-mail address.
    https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=login&redirectto=samplealbumdownload&ialbum_id=6446

The concept is interesting, but it raises some questions for me:

If it's better than all of the other formats I may already have for my favourite artist, do I have the gear to get the full advantage?
    Certainly, it's better than any compressed digital format.

Is it worthwhile? Is there an artist or album that is worth the extra expense to buy the same music in yet another format?
    That could be a good discussion thread, I guess. There's a "collector" element that dictates you get everything ever released by an artist. (I'm a borderline case.)
    Is there one that you'd just have to have?
  33. Dec 28, 2011
  34. speakerjones SPL Enthusiast

I guess this only works if you have iTunes, but Spin has a mix from their "Best of 2011" list available as a free download here:
    http://www.spin.com/itunes
  35. Dec 30, 2011
  36. Jbird n00b

There is a band here in Michigan that is somewhat local to me called Silent Lapse.

Their album can be downloaded from their website for whatever you wish to pay for it, including for free if you so desire (unless they've changed it recently)

http://silentlapse.com/

I think it's pretty good stuff. It's metal along the lines of Opeth/Tool/Riverside. Right up Mo's alley, if no one else's here :weebz:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013