Dig it! Free at last! I am 100% Line 6 Free!

OGG

Master of the Meh
Hasta la vista pinché puto! The HD 500 has gone to a new home, far, far from my own.

I practically gave it away at $150 With the Gator Bag, but the joy I got from watching those tail lights disappear into the distance was priceless.

Ironically, after I listed it with full disclosure that the Expression Pedal didn't work (a very common problem with a very easy but expensive fix from Line 6), I remembered that I had long ago purposely disabled the footswitch for the looper because using the damned expression pedal always ended up in accidentally engaging the stupid looper. So I took it apart (for the bazillionth time) to re-activate the looper switch. While I had it apart, I decided to investigate the dead expression pedal one last time (after several failed expeditions).

The pin on the bottom of the rocker pedal rests on, and when pushed down, clicks a small diaphragm type dealie. It's two thin, convex metal pieces mounted opposite each other housed in a plastic circle that is attached to a daughter board. It is that "diaphragm" that fails, and Line 6 sells the replacement only as a complete daughter board assembly.

With nothing to lose, I popped the plastic circle off the board by squeezing the two fastening clips and very quickly realized that the act of pressing the pedal down to "engage" the function, pushes that convex "upward" top piece into the convex "downward" bottom piece to effectively complete a circuit. The pieces are so weak, and cheap, that the top one gets deformed and not only keeps the circuit closed, but makes it impossible to calibrate. And if the calibration sweep doesn't low end at 0 and top end at 255, the calibration test fails and the software disables the pedal entirely. So once it gets deformed, the sweep range readings go all over the map (mine would read 18-244).

One small ball ping hammer strike to each piece was all it took to correct the shape and return the pedal to perfect working order. Motherfucker!

Not only was the fix ridiculously easy, but the fact that L6 has known all along and not done a thing about it other than sell their customers expensive parts they don't need is almost criminally dickish.

So as it turns out, the day I sold it was the first day since shortly after I bought it brand new in 2012, that the entire unit actually worked.

Fuck you Line 6, and say hello to my leetle friend!

42b4cf2a01b2fbf1321f82f306757ac9.jpg

The only product of theirs that I've owned is the DL4, which I fucking love, despite the fact that it doesn't have a good shelf life.

Wish I could find a looper than I liked as much.

The only product of theirs that I've owned is the DL4, which I fucking love, despite the fact that it doesn't have a good shelf life.

The DL4 was an industry standard for a reason. Only now am I starting to see them disappear from peoples rigs as they realize they've spent at least a Strymon Timeline on replacing or servicing their DL4's.

I've owned a lot of Line 6 stuff over the years and I'm always disappointed. I'm not afraid of digital stuff (I end up doing most of my "email guitars" with POsitive Grid's Bias program) but I don't care for the Line 6 or Boss stuff because of how they feel when I play through them.

Only Line6 product I've ever owned is the EchoPark pedal, which was their attempt to shrink the DL4 into a "normal" sized pedal. No presets, but a lot of the same delay models as existed in the DL4. I bought it brand new when Best Buy was clearing out their musical instruments. It lasted about 9 months before it quit working. It was still under warranty so they fixed it for free. It's still hanging in there, but I can't say I'd get another.

150388000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I had a Line6 pod .Was ok.

My cousin had a spider amp that sounded like raw ass.

Pretty sure I posted a picture a few years ago from Jason's studio where you could see something like 7 or 8 of the DL4s, brand new in the boxes just laying about the big room as well as a few that were "in use".

The boxed units were there as emergency back ups for when (yes, "when") one of them shit the bed. And this in like 2011 when the damned things were new-new... as in like, the latest and greatest.

I don't remember specific details, but L6 had given J ONE unit, which he liked, and it IMMEDIATELY went tits up. In a very short period of time, it got so ridiculous that they just sent him a giant box full of them. I distinctly remember being encouraged to grab a couple for myself, but after witnessing the attrition, I passed. Pretty sure I made a comment about how he'd need them all eventually.

That unit had a BIG presence on the album that followed, but I don't know how many of them made the ultimate sacrifice for the honor.

Haven't seen a single piece of L6 gear in J's home or studio since. Nada. Nothing. Zero. Zelch.

Conversely, he got a Boss RC somethingorother looper, and an identical back up unit to use for the world tour he did with just himself and Toca as an acoustic duo. He used and abused the ever loving piss out of that thing, all night, every night. I remember the days leading up to their two-night finale here in San Diego. They did a show in Dubai, had to be in Melbourne for the next two nights, flew from Melbourne to New York to do The Letterman show, and then here in SD the next night. An insane amount of miles over the span of 4-5 days. The Boss never had a hiccup. The back up unit never saw the light of day.

On a related note, the dude that bought my HD 500 has now texted me approximately a gazillion times since Friday asking me an endless series of questions about the fucking thing. I finally just blocked his number. Pretty sure he is still trying.

Yeah, ha ha. I made the mistake of telling him that forum was populated with fanboi asshats, company shills who are paid to disseminate misinformation, clueless dipshits asking for help they'll never get, and a complete lack of useful or helpful information.

Unfortunately, the guy has ZERO experience with a multi unit, which makes jumping into that thing head first a suicide mission. I don't mind being helpful. I spent a good deal of time with him before taking his money going over the highlights of things that will either completely confuse him, or drive him to the brink of total madness.

I told him about the many well known issues in build quality that lead to inoperable switches etc and how to fix them and slow their recurrence. Physically showed him the inner braces I added to keep the circuit boards from flexing beyond the travel range of the switches... showed him the fully operational expression pedal and cycled through each switch etc...

Next thing I know, he's texting me telling me the EP doesn't work, the looper switch doesn't work, the bank C switch doesn't work...

I have to explain to him (again) that there is no physical correlation between the physical switch layout and the actual signal chain. Each one is patch specific, and can be allocated to virtually any parameter of any effect or amp sim, and that they ONLY function when the patch is programmed to make them function... i.e. the expression pedal does nothing unless the patch has assigned it to a function and set a range.

He doesn't get it. He started talking about "sending it out for repairs".

At that point, I told him to slow down, read the "pilot's guide" first, and then crack open the "War and Peace" sized "extended users manual" and to verify something was broken before condemning it just because it's not being told to do anything.

I then politely reminded him that not only did I physically demonstrate that every hardware piece worked, but that I pretty much gave the thing away along with a $75 Gator Bag. Caveat Emptor bitch!

I never signed on to be tech support.

Back