Forthose of you that buy guitars via on-line

I've bought 5 guitars online. None over 5 bills, however. And aside from setups and optional upgrades, none have had flaws that couldn't be corrected in 5 minutes or less. I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't have if I wasn't able to return them easily. I might be tempted to spend as much as a grand online. Anything over that I want to test drive first. I guess that's a movable cut-off point depending on your risk tolerance versus your financial situation. Plus anything over a grand, i think you're paying for finesse and subtleties which can't be conveyed online anyway, so why bother.

Last edited:
If it's a PRS, then you know the consistancy is going to be there. If you've played another one of the same model elsewhere (friend, store, etc) you know that you'll be getting a quality piece (as long as you're buying from a reputible dealer, good setup, etc).

There are a few higher end brands that will be consistent like that... but if it's a Fender or Gibson product, all bets are off. I go to woodwind and brasswind occasionally and have them open 2 or 3 of the EXACT SAME GUITAR and you wouldn't believe how wildly they vary.

The first electric I bought was some kind of Washburn electric (some letter prefix followed by a 50, I think) that was being cleared out by Music 123. Two humbuckers that could be split, superstrat body, black with red binding. It was a pretty thing, but the frets were like railroad ties and I did not like the way it felt. I bought a Squier Affinity Stat with more traditional frets and liked it much more. My wife bought me two more guitars online, but all other purchases have been made hands on. The feel is everything.

Back