Formula 1 discussion

Yeah, I think Massa was done in by the strategy, for sure. Of course, his team may know that he can do 5-10 fast laps to qualify, but in a much longer race pace they drop relative to the others. I'm sure they called the plan with the best info they had, but it wasn't enough to win. Still, a podium and 4th for the team is pretty epic in terms of end of season money, so it was a good day for them.

I agree on Vettel. For years everyone wondered what was up with Webber's car relative to Vettel's, and now we see that Seb used his lucky streak a long time ago. I can't imagine a scenario where he is in contention for the driver's championship.

Fernando once again proved he is a great driver in a bad car. Kimi demonstrated he is a good driver in a bad car. When everything is perfect with the car, I would pick Kimi to be better than Alonso, but when they are both struggling, Alonso has the edge by a big margin. I guess that is the nature of the driver. Alonso can make anything reasonably fast, whereas Kimi struggles until things are right, and then he is a badass. Anyway, not really relevant, as Ferrari seems unable to field anything competitive this year, and they are only getting by in the points because they have 2 world championship level drives. Sad.

Reactions: OGG
Even Williams admits that they couldn't have won no matter what strategy they used. The Mercedes cars are just too fast. I find it interesting that Hamiltons pit stops are always 1 second slower than Rosberg's. Unless he has a DNF, I think Rosberg will win the WDC this year. Rosberg seems to have gotten into Hamiltons head, as demonstrated by his screw up in Q3 on Saturday.

Hamilton has always been a bit of a head case. The more things don't go his way, the more mistakes he is likely to make.

Rosberg almost can't lose the WDC at this point. While it makes for another boring run to the end, watching Vettel continue to be mired in a never ending series of bad luck makes the season quite enjoyable.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Crazy qualifying day at Silverstone. Both Ferrari cars missed q3, marussia made Q2... the final few seconds were incredible.

Thanks to Rosberg's DNF the WDC is wide open again. This is no doubt a real emotional boost for Hamilton. Let's see if he can use that to build momentum for the rest of the European leg of the season.

However I think Alonso put in the drive of the day. That pass on Vettel in Coppse was incredible, and the way he defended his position for so many laps was very entertaining (especially hearing Vettels frustration that he wouldn't get out of the wayrotflmao).

All in all it was a fantastic race.

Agreed that Alonso had the drive of the day. Bottas had a great one as well but he did not have to work nearly so hard IMO. Too bad the Ferrari didn't have a bit more straight line speed. It was clear that the RB was faster down the straight. I was killing myself laughing at Vettels whining. Alonso did nothing but defend his position as he is entitled to. I guess Vettel thought it was last year and he was well in first and lapping slower traffic so they should naturally get out of his way :P But it was very exciting racing.

I too laughed out loud at Vettel. What a whiney little turd he is.

Alonso and Bottas both drove sensational races.

Poor Felipe Massa just can't catch a break.

Looks like Kimi may not see the end of his contract, Ferrari is having Jules Bianchi drive this wednesday in testing.

Kimi's year has been awful. Ferrari are not a patient team.

Looks like the FIA is going to force the removal of FRIC devices from all of the cars using them (front-rear inter-connect suspension) before the race next week.

If so, it is a disaster for Mercedes and a huge boost for the smaller teams.

Look out for Williams to run amok!

I hate these mid-season rule changes. I guess it's an attempt to reign in Mercedes advantage and make the race closer by the powers that be. Funny thing is that most of the teams have been using FRIC for several years.

I hate these mid-season rule changes. I guess it's an attempt to reign in Mercedes advantage and make the race closer by the powers that be. Funny thing is that most of the teams have been using FRIC for several years.
Yup

This is a tough year to be a Felipe Massa fan. Gebus.

That battle between Alonso and Ricciardo was epic.

Bottas continues to impress.

Great race today in Hungary.

Nice to see a win by someone not driving a Mercedes. Alonso was a beast!

Many great battles, some scary incidents, strategy missteps. ..

My boy Massa didn't get crashed out, which was nice.

Probably the most entertaining race of the year so far.

Those last 10 laps were a real nail biter. Those two safety cars had a lot to do with creating the excitement we saw in this race.

Now we have to wait 4 WEEKS for the next race. :HB:

Loved those last 10 laps. Alonzo keeps showing how good he really is he doesn't have the power/speed of the red bulls or mercedes but managed a 2nd.

Team troubles in Mercedes? We have 4 weeks of a mini silly season to find out

Well my favorite race of the year has come and gone. I am really pissed about what Rosberg did to Hamilton on lap 2. With that move (and getting away with it without penalty) he has all but assured he will win the title with a 29 point lead and only 7 races left. With all of the antics going on at Mercedes I wonder how long Hamilton will stay there?

Once again Ricciardo has really impressed me. This kid is the real deal and now it looks like he could make a run for the title too, especially if Hamilton and Rosberg take each other out (something that now appears very likely to happen). It is also good to see Williams on the podium again, and Bottas is proving to be a very worthy driver. I wonder if McLaren are looking at him? I also think they need to replace Massa. His ship has sailed and there are other drivers out there waiting for a seat that are much faster.

I am no Hamilton fan, so I chuckled over that incident.

Disagree on Massa. Yesterday not withstanding, he has had some brilliant drives this year but for getting knocked out of the running by idiots crashing into him. Bad luck.

Nice result for Massa to get a podium in Monza. The Tifosi certainly loved it by the crowd reaction.

Ricciardo once again proves that he is the real deal. He made some spectacular passes.

Bottas continues to impress me as well.

Hamilton got a much needed win, but to have a shot at the title he needs to win every race from here on out, and have no more reliability issues. Another Rosberg DNF would help too, but that doesn't seem too likely. The good news for Hamilton is that the upcoming races are at tracks that he has done very well at historically, but with most of his engines used up (and one burnt up) he may be looking at a grid penalty for at least one race.

OOG you must be thrilled with Massa's result...I know you are a big fan of his

Ricciardo and Bottas has great races. Overall I think the chances have made it much more exciting racing, Mercedes dominates notwithstanding. I do miss the sound still though

What's with the semi-flacid penis on the front of some of the cars?

Don't know know that a semi-flacid penis gives you better aerodynamics :confused:

What's with the semi-flacid penis on the front of some of the cars?
FIA has rules on the height of the nose for safety reasons, but there is an aerodynamic advantage to have the nose up high, so the teams came up with the penis to keep the aero, but meet the rules.

Back