Ford C-Max, anyone here have any XP with 'em?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
There's a 2013 somewhat low miles, low price C-Max about 100 miles from me, and I've been considering getting a newer vehicle.

I was wondering if anyone's driven one, or has relatives/friends that have one, etc. My biggest concern about a Hybrid is when the battery starts to go it's probably pretty expensive to replace. And This is Fords first foray into this market (?). It doesn't seem to me after searching on the web that anyone has any long-term experience with one.

The one I'm looking at has the leather, upgraded stereo with the navigation & back-up camera, extra speakers, etc. (The SEL model).

I have a 2007 Ford Focus hatchback right now, and I've been wanting to stay with a hatchback if I can. The C-Max is a hatch. It's built on the newer Ford Focus platform (excellent chassis), has the same 2.0L 4-cylinder engine the Focus has, with an added Atkinson electric motor for the hybrid. Gives it a usable 188 HP with both engines, and from what I gather, it will out-do a Focus in 0-60 times because of the electric motor. I can live with the looks too, of a very small mini-van crossed with a station wagon :tongue:

I would love to have a newer Focus, but I don't want to take a chance on their dual-clutch auto transmission. They can be horrendous if you get a bad one. The C-Max has a CVT.

So, the C-Max is roughly the equivalent of a Prius V station wagon with a higher class interior, much more sportiness, and a bit less mpg, 42 city/37 highway.

Ford-Cmax-Hybrid.jpg

2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-sel-interior.jpg

I don't know anything about them, but I wouldn't worry too much about the battery thing. We just replaced the battery on my wife's 2004 Prius (for the first time), and it was only a few hundred bucks.

Really? That's good to know.

The one I'm looking at only has 22k on it, and they are asking $16,999. A new SEL goes for $27k. The carfax/auto report thingie stated it was a fleet car (rental) in the state of Florida, auctioned off to the Ford dealer up near Ann Arbor where it's at now. No reports of accident or maintenance problems.

The C-Max is quite literally a taller Focus, both based on the same platform (originally the C1 platform and now the Ford Global C Platform, hence the name).

Hmm, my local Ford dealer has a used 2013 too. Black, with the tan leather seats, and a couple of more options that the one north of Ann Arbor doesn't have. They want 23K for it though, w/18,000 on the odometer.

I'll probably go look at it. I wish I was better at wheelin' & dealin' though. I don't want to pay 23k on a used car when the new ones with the same options are going for 27k. (the 2013's went for 30k new. Ford lowered the price on the 2015's)

Back