For the meat-free folks here

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
Several years ago, I bought a Tofurkey and brought it to the family Thanksgiving meal. I was not impressed. It tasted more like vegetarian bologna. Well, Carol and I were in Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago and I saw this:
USA-meatless-turkey-roast.jpg

I figured I'd give it a go; it wasn't terrible expensive and I have had their meatless chicken patties and love them. Bottom line is, I found a new Thanksgiving tradition. I haven't had turkey in 25 years, and I'm sure it doesn't taste like turkey, but it tasted enough like what I remember of the taste of turkey. That and some vegetarian stuffing made for one of the best Thanksgiving meals I have had in years. Very nice, and fairly easy to fix.

Some people have made a fuss over allergy issues with the fungus that is the base of their mycoprotein but I’ve never had a problem with their products.

http://www.mycoprotein.org/index.php/faq/index.html

Mycoprotein is the ingredient common to all Quorn™ products. It’s a completely meat-free form of high quality protein and is also a good source of dietary fibre. It is low in fat and saturates and contains no cholesterol or trans fats at all.

Mycoprotein is made in fermenters similar to those found in a brewery. It’s made by adding oxygen, nitrogen, glucose and minerals to a fungus called Fusarium venenatum.

These ingredients combine in the fermenter to form a continuous supply of Mycoprotein which is harvested and dried before egg albumen is added to help with binding

Back