Foods you can't eat anymore

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
Kettle chips....they be good but they destroy my mouth...it's like chewing on rocks or something :(

Pasta and tomato sauce...since my surgery pasta does not digest and the acid in tomatoes makes me nauseous...

...it's the one and only regret I have...

No Surgery, but tomato acid causes all sorts of havoc to my stomach lining.

Fried food, I can't do anymore. Stopped for awhile to lose weight and couldn't take it once I came back to eating non-diet.

Greasy food. Now eating greasy food is followed by a quick trot to the loo.

I have been limiting wheat and sugar as of late. It's doing wonders for my digestive tract and my heartburn. I'm also limiting the heat level on spicy food. Hot sauce is ok, just not habanero sauce.

I can second the kettle chips - I like crunchy, but too much is too much.

I can't think of anything that I absolutely can't eat though. I just can't put away the quantities of chow that I used to, especially at night. If I want to sleep, I need a near-empty stomach when I hit the sack.

Coffee. Rips my guts out and if I have more than six cups a day (and I lose count fast) I have insane mood swings.

Shrimp. I used to love it, but at some point something happened -- maybe I ate some and got sick? I'm not sure, but I can't stand the smell, taste or texture of them now.

Reactions: DFB
Shrimp. I used to love it, but at some point something happened -- maybe I ate some and got sick? I'm not sure, but I can't stand the smell, taste or texture of them now.
That's another one. They don't have much flavor anyway.

Bad shrimp has somehow turned into a phony status symbol. Unless it’s fresh massive prawns it’s usually not worth eating unless you like it as a medium for Old Bay.

Nothing.....I love shrimp, broccoli, chocolate, coffee, ketchup, kettle chips, wheat and sugar, greasy foods, (the greasier the better), fried food, tomatoes, pasta with sauce and wild boar

Pasta and tomato sauce...since my surgery pasta does not digest and the acid in tomatoes makes me nauseous...

...it's the one and only regret I have...
My wife had the same problem after her surgery. Give it a year and try again. Also, try making your own sauce. If you slow cook the tomatoes enough it brings out the natural sweetness and cuts the acid. I will literally let my sauce simmer slowly for the whole afternoon when I have the time.

Simple recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 28oz can of whole, peeled plum tomatoes
  • 8oz can tomato sauce
  • 6oz can tomato paste
  • salt
  • oil (canola, vegetable, olive, etc.)
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • Italian seasoning
    0005210010354_A
  • Thyme (my secret ingredient)
  • A metric fuckton of garlic (when you think you have a metric fuckton, add more)
  • ABSOLUTELY ZERO ADDED SUGAR!!!
  1. Smash the tomatoes with a potato masher, fork, large spoon, or just run them through a food processor, as per preference.
  2. Put a tablespoon or so of oil in the bottom of your pan on medium heat and toss in bay leaves.
  3. Once bay leaves have heated up a bit, lower heat to low and add all the other ingredients except salt, seasoning, and thyme.
  4. Once sauce starts to bubble a little bit add some salt, Italian seasoning, and thyme in small amounts, stirring with each addition, and tasting. You don't want to add too much because you can't remove it afterwards.
  5. If sauce gets too thick, add an ounce or so of water and mix thoroughly while still heating.
  6. Cook for as long as you have time to leave it on the stove (I've cooked it a full 8 hours before), adding a splash of water as necessary if sauce thickens too much.
  7. If serving meatballs or braccioli, cook meat in sauce.

Back