Food for Thought

Bob's voice is so inconsistent. I don't know if that's intentional or not but he's all over the place. His work on Wilburys was great and he had some of his best vocal work on Blood on the Tracks, I thought. You Gotta Serve Somebody was one of my favorite Bob tunes ever.

But the time I saw him live in 04 or so, it was awful. His band rocked, but you couldn't understand a damn word he sang.
Ha...you sound a little like my Mom who in her younger days always sang in choirs and rented herself out to sing at weddings,etc. I also turned her on to neil young,(which I'll always be proud of-she loved him in concert)...I said Mom- If it just sounds good and seems to make sense, either don't care what the words are, try to figure out the lyrics like we used to do when a new Zep album came out,or go down stairs,google,print off,and sing along...

Bob's voice is so inconsistent. I don't know if that's intentional or not but he's all over the place. His work on Wilburys was great and he had some of his best vocal work on Blood on the Tracks, I thought. You Gotta Serve Somebody was one of my favorite Bob tunes ever.

But the time I saw him live in 04 or so, it was awful. His band rocked, but you couldn't understand a damn word he sang.

Did you mean Slow Train Coming? That album is one of my faves.

Did you mean Slow Train Coming? That album is one of my faves.

Yes. Sorry. That's the one.
Bob's early material came out before I was even born. That was the first "new" Dylan album I bought and it blew me away. I had quite a few of the earlier records and loved them but that album hit me hard.

Tried to find a youtube of When You Gonna Wake Up, and Gonna Change My Way of Thinking, and can't find any. :embarrassed:

Yes. Sorry. That's the one.
Bob's early material came out before I was even born. That was the first "new" Dylan album I bought and it blew me away. I had quite a few of the earlier records and loved them but that album hit me hard.

BTW, if you liked Slow Train, have you listened to Infidels? You'd dig it.

I think if he'd come along today, he'd have changed his voice, and written different songs, and he would totally own whatever market segment he wanted. Or he'd settle for being the big fish in Alt Country.

Back