Folks who camp in bear country

Theodore

I gotta move
What's your preferred method for storing your food at night? Canister? Bag? Vehicle? Pants?

Apologies to anyone who is enraged by the question.

Heh. An important consideration, unless you like nighttime visitors. :tongue:

Would hang a bear bag when backpacking. For car camping I would just keep everything in the vehicle.

NO FOOD OR SMELLABLES IN THE TENT! cop0

warning-frequency-of-human-bear-encounters-hikers-please-take-extra-precautions-2602225.png

Yeah, no food near the tent.

Also, deodorants and toothpaste and anything else fragrant should be kept away from sleeping quarters.

Bears have destroyed cars to get food.

Best bet is to put everything in a bag and hang it about 20 feet off the ground quite a distance from your campsite.

And don't eat at your campsite.

We used to tie our food 10 feet off the ground from a branch, and 10 feet out from the trunk, and then hung it down about 3 feet. I think this was from some NH camping guide from the park service. It has been 20 years since I've done it, so my numbers might be off a bit. This was for east coast bears in rural NH. We also had guns but we never needed them

Last edited:
Also: clean your cookware and dinnerware ASAP.
This is the single best thing^ also do you dish cleaning a bit away from camp.

Everywhere in AZ is bear country....black bear...the cute freindly critters. Honestly I've never even given it much thought other than what Flamer said and also just not leaving food out (but that's kinda cuz I don't want squirrels or anything else going into my food.

I've always just put all my food in the cab when I drove a pick up without campershell. Otherwise I just keep it in the vehichle for the most part although the ice chest stays out. If I was backpacking I'd probably sling it over a treea bit away from camp but again black bears (at least the ones more out in the boonies) are mkore afraid of you so if they come in SHOW EM WHOS BOSS by talking to them or making some noise...think mean thoughts too cuz like a dog they probably sense fear and if they think yer a wuss they'll take advantage of you :wink:

You can buy specialized bear canisters for food storage if you're so inclined.

I typically don't pack anything perishable and it all goes in air tight containers if we're car camping, which are stored in the car. If backpacking, it's all in ziplocks and hung.

Back