Fly rig competition

@Chad - I think it actually adds up to 4 pedals. Tuner, OD, Distortion and Delay. I'd struggle to put those 4 pedals on a board for that money here so that is another viewpoint. Similarly the compactness of the unit could well help save space on a board. YMMV.

I'll hold off until they come out with the hair-metal version, the Dapper Dan :embarrassed:

Did you see the Dapper Dark metal version?

@Chad

I did, but there are no youtube videos up on it right now.

It does intrigue me as I see by the picture it has a noise gate built in.

New Years Eve I went and jammed with my old band mates from the '80s, and forgot to bring a power strip to plug my new noise gate in. My amp & guitar are so noisy it bothered me all night long, affecting my playing even, quite honestly. We jam in my friend Paul's garage, there's a work room off to the side that he's converted into a music room. He has so much gear (all old & used, but still working) like mixing boards, PA, and everything that there was literally no more room to plug my one pedal into.

@Chad - I think it actually adds up to 4 pedals. Tuner, OD, Distortion and Delay. I'd struggle to put those 4 pedals on a board for that money here so that is another viewpoint. Similarly the compactness of the unit could well help save space on a board. YMMV.

Have you seen the Mooer micro pedals? Or the Hotone micros? They are so small you can't put a battery in them.

In the end, buy what you like and what floats your boat. I guess I like to choose my pedals individually, not be stuck with what is given to me.

Well, I received my Dapper today. I used the ADA Rocket A-10 amp as the test bed. It took me a minute to warm up to it. Most of the stuff I own doesn't have a bad sound in there. You can adjust and there's always a usable sound. The Dapper is capable of sounding bad with the wrong settings, so there is a little tweaking that needs to happen. It sounds better to my ears with the cab sim engaged, even through an amp. It's fuller sounding and sounds more amp-like. It seems to be all analog. The delay is fun. You can do the Steve Stevens machine gun sounds with it by keeping the regen all the way up then moving the time up, then down. It will even go into oscillation when you roll the time back all the way to the right. The distortion and overdrive are what I expected, decent enough. I don't like the way they stack together....but you can set a good rhythm sound with the OD and a good lead tone with the Distortion and easily toggle between the two by stepping on both buttons. If you keep the gain(s) down they do stack better. I like stacking dirt though and I haven't figured out what stacks well with it. In general, the tone is a little more modern sounding than I'm used to. The tuner needs a little work. It would be great if the red light would flash slower the closer it got to tune but as is it's just red, red green, then green. It would work OK in a pinch and it does silence the unit when engaged. My goal is to have something to plug into my interface for learning tunes and it is great for that. Is it worth the $139 shipped? It is.

Nest week I'll see how it sounds in a band setting.

Tomorrow I'll give it a whirl through a different amp.

Kind of anxious to see what Myz thinks, especially compared to the RK5

Well, I received my Dapper today. I used the ADA Rocket A-10 amp as the test bed. It took me a minute to warm up to it. Most of the stuff I own doesn't have a bad sound in there. You can adjust and there's always a usable sound. The Dapper is capable of sounding bad with the wrong settings, so there is a little tweaking that needs to happen. It sounds better to my ears with the cab sim engaged, even through an amp. It's fuller sounding and sounds more amp-like. It seems to be all analog. The delay is fun. You can do the Steve Stevens machine gun sounds with it by keeping the regen all the way up then moving the time up, then down. It will even go into oscillation when you roll the time back all the way to the right. The distortion and overdrive are what I expected, decent enough. I don't like the way they stack together....but you can set a good rhythm sound with the OD and a good lead tone with the Distortion and easily toggle between the two by stepping on both buttons. If you keep the gain(s) down they do stack better. I like stacking dirt though and I haven't figured out what stacks well with it. In general, the tone is a little more modern sounding than I'm used to. The tuner needs a little work. It would be great if the red light would flash slower the closer it got to tune but as is it's just red, red green, then green. It would work OK in a pinch and it does silence the unit when engaged. My goal is to have something to plug into my interface for learning tunes and it is great for that. Is it worth the $139 shipped? It is.

Nest week I'll see how it sounds in a band setting.

Tomorrow I'll give it a whirl through a different amp.

Kind of anxious to see what Myz thinks, especially compared to the RK5

Interesting... mine lands tomorrow so we will see!

Anybody know if this has an emulated output for recording?

Edit: never mind...I see that you can.
Btw $103 on eBay.

Last edited:
Anybody know if this has an emulated output for recording?

Edit: never mind...I see that you can.
Btw $103 on eBay.

Seller is from Asia. I asked them a few questions and all I got in response was a copied and pasted answer of everything listed in the listing. I negotiated a price of $127 shipped from pitbull Audio in Cali

Seller is from Asia. I asked them a few questions and all I got in response was a copied and pasted answer of everything listed in the listing. I negotiated a price of $127 shipped from pitbull Audio in Cali
Yeah, buying directly from Asia isn't my favorite thing either. I've never had a quality issue but the shipping times can be pretty long.
I've bought a few things from Pitbull Audio In the past and had a good experience with them.

Yeah, buying directly from Asia isn't my favorite thing either. I've never had a quality issue but the shipping times can be pretty long.
I've bought a few things from Pitbull Audio In the past and had a good experience with them.

plus, I'm sure having to return it would be pricey if you bought from that seller.

OK... so I got the pedal today and within 3 minutes, it was back in the box and I requested a refund. The item is defective... the delay doesn't work. Even with the delay controls maxed, there is no delay at all.

As for the tones I heard and how it compares to the RK5... I don't think it holds a candle. While the efx loop and tuner are a good addition, the RK5 has a warmer tone and the reverb in the sans amp is a nice touch. The OD channel is better than the distortion channel on this unit. Stacking the gain helped with distortion, but I found the tone shaping far less existent than the RK5.

I was hoping for a more modern tone to the RK5, but the Dapper is voiced pretty dark.

It's a shame though. I wanted to love this thing.

OK... so I got the pedal today and within 3 minutes, it was back in the box and I requested a refund. The item is defective... the delay doesn't work. Even with the delay controls maxed, there is no delay at all.

As for the tones I heard and how it compares to the RK5... I don't think it holds a candle. While the efx loop and tuner are a good addition, the RK5 has a warmer tone and the reverb in the sans amp is a nice touch. The OD channel is better than the distortion channel on this unit. Stacking the gain helped with distortion, but I found the tone shaping far less existent than the RK5.

I was hoping for a more modern tone to the RK5, but the Dapper is voiced pretty dark.

Bummer. Even though I would never buy that thing, I was hoping you'd dig it.

I'm not surprised that you didn't like it (forget the defect).
When this thread came up, I was really interested in it only for recording purposes. It checks the right boxes...small, versatile, compact etc.
But after watching only one YouTube video I knew right away that it wasn't for me. Just the overall tone of it didn't sound warm enough to me.

Back