Fly rig competition

I'm happy to have bought a US-designed and made RK5 rather than a reverse-engineered, Chinese ripoff, but hey -- that's just me...

I haven't had great luck with gelling with tech21 stuff. Sold or gave away anything tech21 that I had in the past. I'm all about supporting local but I just can't bring myself to buy another tech21 product.

Another benefit to this is that Tech21 builds their amp sim into it making it predestined for some styles and useless for others. Here you can add whatever amp sim pedal in the loop if you want itfor whatever, also if you already have your dedicated amp you love yo u dont have to be tied to the built in sim.

It's like they looked into my brain every time I saw a flyrig and stole everything I was thinking about.

Another benefit to this is that Tech21 builds their amp sim into it making it predestined for some styles and useless for others. Here you can add whatever amp sim pedal in the loop if you want itfor whatever, also if you already have your dedicated amp you love yo u dont have to be tied to the built in sim.

It's like they looked into my brain every time I saw a flyrig and stole everything I was thinking about.

yeah man... for sure... that's why i'm intrigued... the tuner, cab sim on/off switch and efx loop are huge!!!

Umm, the SansAmp portion of all the fly rig versions can be turned on or off as desired, so yeah -- not so much...

Umm, the SansAmp portion of all the fly rig versions can be turned on or off as desired, so yeah -- not so much...
But it acts as the overdrive. So you'd be stuck with only distortion and delay. Unless I'm missing something here, and as I've said, they would then be backwards for me. So I'm still not sold on T21.

It is more like a modern version of the early (analog) multi-effects, like the Ibanez UE300/305, of several of the boutique/custom builders who house/re-house effects. Just several individual circuits in a single enclosure with FX loops (yes, the Ibanez multi FX had loops 35 years ago).

Boost, Tuner, Effect 1, Effect 2, FX Loop, Effect 3

The amp-in-the-box is really the core of the Sansamp, and the Dapper doesn't copy that. I love their Character series, but if I just needed a Delay and Boost/OD, the Sansamp would not be my choice.

Last edited:
It is more like a modern version of the early (analog) multi-effects, like the Ibanez UE300/305, of several of the boutique/custom builders who house/re-house effects. Just several individual circuits in a single enclosure with FX loops (yes, the Ibanez multi FX had loops 35 years ago).

Boost, Tuner, Effect 1, Effect 2, FX Loop, Effect 3

The amp-in-the-box is really the core of the Sansamp, and the Dapper doesn't copy that. If I just needed a Delay and Boost/OD, the Sansamp would not be my choice.

I had one of the Ibanez units years ago. The UE405. It was a rackmount with a floor controller. EQ, Chorus, Delay and a compressor. It was pretty cool, I bought it off my old bass player for like $25.

BTW -- the one on top is my current "fly rig"!

IMG_5839.jpg

you're welcome buddy... I think I might buy one too to compare to my fly rig rk5
There is a video of someone doing precisely that on YouTube. The dapper doesn't have as much oomph, but I kept wanting the guy to just turn the level knob up a bit and he doesn't, he just does a 1 to 1 with the knobs the same as possible. Which is also why I didn't like the T21 and realised it wasn't for me.

I've been gassing this thing for the last week before this thread came up.

Now I need to buy popcorn for Tele's impression.

I don't get the point of these at all if you are going to add other pedals into the loop. Why not just build a board, get to select all the effects and in what order they go? The only reason I can see for these type of devices is a quick grab and go utility board for a gig where all you need is a couple dirt boxes and some delay.

I don't get the point of these at all if you are going to add other pedals into the loop. Why not just build a board, get to select all the effects and in what order they go? The only reason I can see for these type of devices is a quick grab and go utility board for a gig where all you need is a couple dirt boxes and some delay.
Seems you nailed it with your last sentence, and if you're feeling funky one night and want to add a little something more to your sound you have the option to put something in there.

I understand already, you and BSMan don't want one.

I do.

Seems you nailed it with your last sentence, and if you're feeling funky one night and want to add a little something more to your sound you have the option to put something in there.

I understand already, you and BSMan don't want one.

I do.

Yeah, but adding stuff to it defeats the purpose of a quick grab and go. When you add stuff to it, it doesn't really make too much sense. Now you need another power supply, you're adding cables, now you either stick them on a board or they are just lying around in a mess. Now it isn't a quick grab and go. You are either assembling a board, or it isn't quick anymore and if you are assembling a board, why not grab 3 effects you want, not three you are stuck with because it what a package deal. I get tele's interest, his board is dirt, dirt and delay, it is perfect for him.

I would consider something like this for a quick grab and go thing, if it wasn't 2 dirts and a delay. I don't need that combo of effects, maybe one dirt some kind of modulation and reverb. I cold get by on a gig with that.

Then it's not for you.

Fine.

95% of what I noodle with is overdrive-distortion-delay. Wouldn't it be cool to have that in one thing for the portability that you understand to be a good thing, on my home board with other pedals hooked up in our rec room. Then, if I would want to play with that same core sound somewhere else on the fly, whether it's my living room or across town I just detach the loop and go? As long as I'm willing to go without the mod effects.

Then it's not for you.

Fine.

95% of what I noodle with is overdrive-distortion-delay. Wouldn't it be cool to have that in one thing for the portability that you understand to be a good thing, on my home board with other pedals hooked up in our rec room. Then, if I would want to play with that same core sound somewhere else on the fly, whether it's my living room or across town I just detach the loop and go? As long as I'm willing to go without the mod effects.

If that's cool for you sure. I'm not sure if you are putting it in a board, why you wouldn't just put 3 pedals on the board and take the board with you. The whole reason I have a board is so I never have to unhook and re-hook. I'd rather lug Mark's pedal star galactica around all the time, then unhook shit to take with me only to put it back and hook it back up later. The mooer mini pedal board makes more sense to me for a grab and go solution. But hey,it's your cash, go for it

Back