Flavored Bourbon

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
I'm browsing the Total wine and spirits website for Bourbon and there seems to be a trend of flavored boubon . What is up with that. Why would you want to limit your possibilities, with an unadulterated bourbon your possibilities are endless for mixing or just sipping or shootin'. Are the bourbon companies pandering to the 20 something crowd? are they trying to lure in the young much like Joe Camel did years ago?

what is going on?

btw recommend me a good cheap bourbon for under 22 dollars. I'm leaving around 11 AZ time to hit the booze shop so let me know by then! (fwiw I won't be drinking any till later this afternoon or evening...I'm not an alchy. i just wanna git it dun and come home and couch potato is all :embarrassed:)

P.S. whilst technically not a bourbon my go to cheap whiskey is Mellow Corn...can't be beat.

Elijah Craig is probably the best of the ubiquitous cheapies.

As for flavored bourbon, it's never done it for me. Same with the flavored vodka and rum. But to each his own.

Elijah Craig is probably the best of the ubiquitous cheapies.

As for flavored bourbon, it's never done it for me. Same with the flavored vodka and rum. But to each his own.

Yeah the flavored thing could be expanded to a lot of food/drink categories. With the liqour though it seems like why not just use actual real flavors rather than "flavorings". for instance all the reviews of these flavored spirits always hint at cough syrup and that's another thing regular cough syrup/nyquil>cherry flavored :embarrassed:

This drink is excellent on ice.
th

Good, cheap bourbon? Bottled in Bond is usually a sign of a bottom shelf bourbon that is still drinkable. Old Grand Dad Bonded or Jim Beam Bonded are probably the cheapest ones I drink. Ancient Age is another in the ~$20 range that is tolerable. I hear good things about Mellow Corn, but I haven't tried it yet.

The flavored Bourbons seem to be exploding because they are good sellers. They are mostly for people who don't like bourbon, though.

After drinking whiskey for 40 years I'll drink what I want when I want. I enjoy a top shelf whiskey but I'm not concerned about going off the beaten path when I want and no one else should either for crying out loud. What a boring ass world it would be if there was only one proper way to do something.

IMO, one of the better cheap bourbons is Evan Williams White Label BIB. It's $13 that drinks way above it's price tag.

After drinking whiskey for 40 years I'll drink what I want when I want. I enjoy a top shelf whiskey but I'm not concerned about going off the beaten path when I want and no one else should either for crying out loud. What a boring ass world it would be if there was only one proper way to do something.
Is this your way of telling us you like Jack Daniel's Honey?

Good, cheap bourbon? Bottled in Bond is usually a sign of a bottom shelf bourbon that is still drinkable. Old Grand Dad Bonded or Jim Beam Bonded are probably the cheapest ones I drink. Ancient Age is another in the ~$20 range that is tolerable. I hear good things about Mellow Corn, but I haven't tried it yet.

The flavored Bourbons seem to be exploding because they are good sellers. They are mostly for people who don't like bourbon, though.

Theodore turned me onto Mellow Corn when he posted his stable back on HC, I'm a sucker for packaging but the mellow corn is good cheap (like 14 dollars a bottle cheap) booze. OGD is also another good cheap booze.

By no means am I a Bourbon/whiskey or booze snob. I like the Wathens , that's what I got the last couple times and today i planned to get teh Bird Dog (packaging again...hey it's got a cool dog on the label and the bottle shape rawks :embarrassed:) I could not fine the plain jane Bird Dog though all they had was Peach cinnamon and sarspillia (sp?.). So I got some Tincup (packaging again) I had seen it earlier and it's associated with Colorado and at least cut with Rocky mountain Water (coors :confused:), it conjurs up the old mining days....Im a sucker :facepalm: but apparently like most things these days be it spark plugs, vitamins or booze it's all made by big corporations but whatever useless0

Image-1.jpg

I agree....good post Mike (but still the flavoring thing is like flavored coffee...it's the dumbing down of 'mericuh!) cop0

Back