Question: Flat wound strings for guitar?

Not sure. I tried flat-wounds on a strat.........I didn't like them, but had no problems with them buzzing or anything like that.

Also tried a set of flat-wounds on a Peavy JS1 Jazz-style semi-hollow guitar. Again, didn't like them, but again, didn't have any problems with them.

I'd say that ad was probably BS, but if there's any doubt, I'd choose a different brand.

On their website is says the string length is 36". So they are meant for a big body jazz box with a trapeze tail piece. It just means if you try them on a Les Paul, they will be really long and the wrapped ends (like the nylon wrap at the end of bass strings) will go way past the running pegs. Maybe the strings past the wrap won't fit in the holes?

Hey Bob, try a set of GHS Nickel Rockers...they're a semi-flat, roller wound that I use on my Tele-strat...

Hey Bob, try a set of GHS Nickel Rockers...they're a semi-flat, roller wound that I use on my Tele-strat...

Looked at those, interesting. Will either be those or, Daddario Chromes. Looking at all the "jazz" strings, heavier gauges are way more prevalent. Only seeing one or two sets of 10s. Your wisdom on that please?

Looked at those, interesting. Will either be those or, Daddario Chromes. Looking at all the "jazz" strings, heavier gauges are way more prevalent. Only seeing one or two sets of 10s. Your wisdom on that please?
The jazz guys don't bend, so they don't need the lighter gauges...the nickel rocker 10s are very similar in feel to the EB Slinky 10s, so you get the playability with the mellowed tones of the flats...

Because I play shorter scales mostly, I'm contemplating moving up to 11s...

Back