Fitbit?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
My wifes company handed out free ones last year and she didn't like it so she gave it to me. I never bothered to use it but I figured I would set it up and try it out this week. To get it to work with the iOS Health app I also had to get the Sync Solver app but it all seems to be working now. Anyone else use one?

I used one a while back because our company gave them out as well. Great to use if you are keeping track. When my sciatica flared up and I went over to bike riding, the fitbit was forgotten.

Your target is 10,000 steps per day.

I'm having enough trouble dealing with what myfitnesspal is telling me...a fitbit would probably send me off the sanity list...

It seems to be working. I'll try it for the rest of the week. Sadly its making me start to want an Apple watch :embarrassed:

Mark, I have the Jawbone 24, which isn't much different. I like having it track my sleeping patterns, length of sleep, and the number of steps that I walk. If you find it interesting at all, it will remind you of what you are trying to change. Actually changing those things will still be up to you, though.

Mark, I have the Jawbone 24, which isn't much different. I like having it track my sleeping patterns, length of sleep, and the number of steps that I walk. If you find it interesting at all, it will remind you of what you are trying to change. Actually changing those things will still be up to you, though.

This, plus MyFitnessPal has helped me lose 30 pounds since the start of the year. The tracker is mainly a novelty/physical reminder of why I'm wearing it in the first place, but MFP is the real-deal shit :thu:

I use one in addition to maymywalk. I just use mapmywalk to track my morning walks and fitbit I wear all the time.
I think I average about 14,000 steps per day.

I use my fitbit and its online food tracking app religiously. It's a pretty good way to measure your exercise and food intake. It keeps me from slacking too much.

So I have a Fitbit again. The old one I had was the One, and it basically a glorified pedometer. My new one is he Charge HR, which also has the heart rate monitor and is the most popular one on the fitness forum I'm active on, as it tracks fairly well even for Crossfit, which a lot of monitors don't do. I also have a Polar FT7 which seemed like it was really accurate, but it was a pain to use (needs a chest strap) and had a lot of connection loss issues.

I have one after my wife's jugsy kickboxing friend showed me her fitbit. I really like it. I've had it about a year or so. It has held up really well to the abuse I have put it through, including a couple of trips in the wash and one trip in the pacific ocean. I have the little one that clips on you, not one of the bracelets (I just looked it up and it is called the ONE). I find it fun to keep up with the step count thing during the day. I've managed to lose about 20 pounds over the last year with very little effort. I think 10 of those pounds were lost in the last month as I have been back to trying to walk more and eat less. My wife has the same model I do, and she recently bought their WIFI scale (Aria is the name), which is also pretty cool.

FWIW, I find it works better when you have some friends on your fitbit profile so you can compete with them on step count. I have jugsy, the wife, her other jugsy non-kickboxing friend, jugsy's sister, and my sister in law.

I just noticed this thread was pretty old. Oh well. Maybe we should great a MWGL fitbit group so we can out walk each other. It might be fun, "I have more steps than you and you have bad toanz"

Last edited:
A friend of ours got some type of bracelet monitor thing for Christmas.
I assume it's a Fitbit, but I haven't seen it yet.

My wife thought it was interesting.

So, now since it's interesting to her, it's not just another gadget that I want because it's a gadget.
I'm not suggesting it's just a gadget, but this is the world I live in and I need to pick my battles. :)

So, any recommendations as to model?
The jawbone with the heart rate monitor sounds interesting.

I've been seeing a ton of $30 deals on Groupon and sites like that. I'd rather buy a known product/company and current model.

Has anyone tried anything new?

I had an Omron pedometer last year that was useful for me to monitor daily activity, but one too many trips through the wash (it was pretty unobtrusive in my pocket) killed it. Right now, I've just ordered an armband pouch for my iPhone six I plan to use in conjunction with mapmyrun for tracking the distance I cover while referee HS soccer games over the next two months, but I am also contemplating something less obtrusive I can use on a daily basis to monitor activity, so I'm all ears!

I have one after my wife's jugsy kickboxing friend showed me her fitbit. I really like it. I've had it about a year or so. It has held up really well to the abuse I have put it through, including a couple of trips in the wash and one trip in the pacific ocean. I have the little one that clips on you, not one of the bracelets (I just looked it up and it is called the ONE). I find it fun to keep up with the step count thing during the day. I've managed to lose about 20 pounds over the last year with very little effort. I think 10 of those pounds were lost in the last month as I have been back to trying to walk more and eat less. My wife has the same model I do, and she recently bought their WIFI scale (Aria is the name), which is also pretty cool.

FWIW, I find it works better when you have some friends on your fitbit profile so you can compete with them on step count. I have jugsy, the wife, her other jugsy non-kickboxing friend, jugsy's sister, and my sister in law.

I just noticed this thread was pretty old. Oh well. Maybe we should great a MWGL fitbit group so we can out walk each other. It might be fun, "I have more steps than you and you have bad toanz"

And since dcf bumped this thread, I had not previously taken notice of your post up there with all the "jugsy" references in it. Now I did :embarrassed:.

So if your computers are apple, and you bicycle a lot, (and cross country ski a lot in winter), which unit would work better? Probably something like the ChargeHR which does heartrate? Can it also than track your steps during the day generally?

Scratch the ChargeHR, it looks like the Surge is recommended if you cycle. Does not seem to be any good way to register other "alternative" things like nordic skiing.

Back