Question: Fitbit (or equivalent) - anyone using one?

What are you trying to do with it? I purchased a FitBit and was completely disappointed... used it for a couple of weeks and then gave it to my mum, who barely uses it. If you want a fancy pedometer and sleep tracker, it works. If you want a heart rate/activity model, you need something more accurate... I got a Polar FT7 for Xmas and am looking forward to trying it out... the FT60 is also a popular one.

What are you trying to do with it? I purchased a FitBit and was completely disappointed... used it for a couple of weeks and then gave it to my mum, who barely uses it. If you want a fancy pedometer and sleep tracker, it works. If you want a heart rate/activity model, you need something more accurate... I got a Polar FT7 for Xmas and am looking forward to trying it out... the FT60 is also a popular one.

Well, I just want something that'll give me a little more motivation to stay on track to getting back to a regular workout routine and moving around a bit more, as I have been pretty bad the last two months.

I have the Jawbone UP24. Right now, the red Jawbone UP24 is selling for about $69 on Amazon, and that's about $30 less that the blue or black ones.

The Jawbone app tracks steps, which motivates me to move more; gives me a reminder buzz to move, that I can set at the time interval that I desire; tracks my sleep not only telling how long, but also the quality of that sleep by telling me how many times I woke up during the night, and how much deep and light sleep I had (that helps me to consider how coffee and other habits might be affecting my sleep. I can also set my wrist band to emit a buzzing that will wake me in the morning. I does a few more things that I can't remember right now because I am not using them at the moment, but it also provides me daily bits of information on healthier living that I can choose to read in more detail if I want. The other important thing that it does is to allow me to link my stats with a friend that also uses the Jawbone UP (the UP24 links to your phone with bluetooth connect so it is always updating, while the Up version links by using a cable and only updates when connected to the phone). Having a friend's stats, and knowing they can see mine definitely makes me try harder on the days that I don't really feel like doing it.

Last edited:
I'm using one of these little pedometers:

yhst-39130775443729_2272_164056342

About $15, and it's so small and thin that it slips in a pocket and you don't even notice it. It's nice to have when I am refereeing soccer -- it lets me know how many steps/miles (the display can show both) I've done during the course of a game. I know a lot of guys who were those fancy Garmin GPS watches, FitBits, etc. to do the same thing, but this is about $1-$200 cheaper...

I love my fitbit. I bought one last year. I pretty much just use it as a pedometer, but I find wearing it makes me more conscious of walking more. It isn't good for much else, but if you just want to walk for exercise, it is really great.

I have the Jawbone UP24. Right now, the red Jawbone UP24 is selling for about $69 on Amazon, and that's about $30 less that the blue or black ones.

The Jawbone app tracks steps, which motivates me to move more; gives me a reminder buzz to move, that I can set at the time interval that I desire; tracks my sleep not only telling how long, but also the quality of that sleep by telling me how many times I woke up during the night, and how much deep and light sleep I had (that helps me to consider how coffee and other habits might be affecting my sleep. I can also set my wrist band to emit a buzzing that will wake me in the morning. I does a few more things that I can't remember right now because I am not using them at the moment, but it also provides me daily bits of information on healthier living that I can choose to read in more detail if I want. The other important thing that it does is to allow me to link my stats with a friend that also uses the Jawbone UP (the UP24 links to your phone with bluetooth connect so it is always updating, while the Up version links by using a cable and only updates when connected to the phone). Having a friend's stats, and knowing they can see mine definitely makes me try harder on the days that I don't really feel like doing it.

The UP24 would have won out already, but I have seen a shit ton of QC complaints - the best of which say they are on their 2nd/3rd/4th warranty replacement...I don't like the 5-star : 1-star review ratio at Amazon :-\

I found a fitbit that apparently fell off someone's wrist. I put an ad in craigslist but no one ever called. I ordered a charge cable for it so I can open it and see if it's associated with a name or address. If it's not, it's mine.
I currently use 'Map my Walk' iPhone app which is part of the Map My Ride series. It logs your speed and distance, time and elapsed time. Like all apps of this type it eats up your battery, but it's free and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my daughter decided on her own to pick up the Jawbone Up24 after finding it on sale and getting it with gift cards she received :thu:. We talked yesterday, and she really likes it. She does a lot of walking in the city - especially to-and-from her job, and says so far it seems to track really well. With that said, one of the Best Buy deals of the day today is the Jawbone Up (not the 24 version) for $29.99. Even though these have QC issues, people who bought them seem to love 'em, so for the price and the 1-year warranty, what the heck?

I don't think I really need one, but I've researched Fitbits and the like in recent history. I'm already a big exercise / weightlifting / tennis player, so I don't need it for motivation, but I like the idea of tracking things for fun. The heart rate monitoring of the wrist models is, from what I've read, inaccurate for all of them. You have to get a chest strap for accurate heart rate, which is the most interesting aspect of them to me, and I don't care to wear a chest strap. So that's what's sort of keeping me away from them.

It's worth noting Fitbit is soon rolling out two new models, the Charge HR and the Surge, so it might be worth it to hold out for those. They sold a small amount of pre-release ones which people have been selling on E-bay and whatnot for way over price.

Edit:

This guy says the Surge heart rate is accurate, so that's cool. I might get one of these when they come out retail.

Last edited:
Speak of the devil:

Charge HR and Surge now shipping in 3 to 5 days from Fitbit.com and available for order. I just ordered a Surge. I'd say if you want one of these jump on it sooner rather than later as they might sell out.

https://www.fitbit.com/

I had one, and gave it away.

I got better use from using MyFitnessPal or something like that.

Tracking food intake is way more important than tracking exercise, for those looking to lose weight. (Not that this is an issue for you, just saying in general.) Unfortunately none of these watches can do that yet!

I'd say Fitness Trackers are in many ways intended for people who are already in good shape and looking to improve aspects of their workouts, but tracking your heart rate and so on would be good for anyone.

We have a program at work called SonicBoom that gives us a discount on our HC premiums if we fulfill certain requirements. One is walking a certain amount a day so I've been wearing a pedometer for a couple of years now. But my motivation ends once I get enough steps. And I don't find knowing how much I walk/exercise changes anything that I wouldn't have done without it.
I also use a Strava app for biking to know how long/far/high my rides are. A buddy uses it for running as well so I think if you wanted to go cheap you could download the app and just run it will you walked. It would not give you steps but would give you distance.

Tracking food intake is way more important than tracking exercise, for those looking to lose weight. (Not that this is an issue for you, just saying in general.) Unfortunately none of these watches can do that yet!

I'd say Fitness Trackers are in many ways intended for people who are already in good shape and looking to improve aspects of their workouts, but tracking your heart rate and so on would be good for anyone.

I found it useful when I was underweight during chemotherapy, too. Whatever. Weight loss, weight gain, weight maintenance.

As for heart-rate... I've got a watch and know how to take my pulse, and do so several times each day.

I used a Fitbit when I was in training and also part of the company sponsored program. It is great to have and with the iPhone app it will upload the daily data into the app so you can trend your progress.

My take on these things is that they are not necessary but if you are sedentary and it will make moving interesting for you, and you can afford it, by all means go for it. Even if it is only useful for a short time. If it gets you up off your ass (I mean this collectively, not directed at anyone specific) then it is totally worth it. I think most who get really into training of any type will eventually not be served well, especially by the simpler models but if it gets some one started it is a success.

That said, the only time I have used heart rate training was when I was cycling a lot and was trying to do some specific interval/tempo training - staying at a specific level for a specific amount of time. I eventually found that while not as scientific, I could use perceived exertion as a guide and not have to fuss with the monitor. Then again, some folks love uploading data to the computer, I'm just not one of those guys.

So bottom line, for $69 buy it and get moving. But do it with the intent of moving on to something more than counting steps. Eat well, move some weights, etc.

I received the Surge today here at work. Pretty cool. It updated its firmware from my phone's Fitbit app, and I played around with it a little, checked out the real time heart rate monitoring, etc. I've played tennis two nights in a row now, but tonight it'll be weighlifting + cardio, so I'll have a chance to really test it out. I've got it charging right now, as it was only about 20 percent out of the box. Strangely it listed 1000 calories burned today right out of the box and I can't seem to be able to reset it.

nNvcR7n.jpg

Reactions: Tig
Cool, I was checking into the Surge since it records heart rate but it doesn't work for cycling so I'll save my money.
I do walk quite a bit to and from work.

Back