Question: first touched a guitar two weeks ago

Hi. I am a software scientist and have never had the opportunity to even come close to a guitar, but I love music. I am 47 years old not and I have managed to squeeze out of my salary to buy a new guitar. It seems to be going well. I will beet a guitar instructor once every four months. I knew NOTHING but as soon as I bought it I learnt some theory and tuning, and am even learning to read music. I will take it slow for about the next five years. I play almost everyday for about 2m minutes, and the few notes I know sound well, but I cannot get into the beats or stay in beat for any length of time. Do you think if I continue seriously, by the time I am 55 will I be able to perform or even compose. I grew up poor in Africa and I did not have this opportunity. Now I am in UK. It seems music is natural to me as just after two weeks I am getting some melodies right.

Take lessons every week, not every few months (if you can). Play an hour a day! Good luck and welcome!

You can't judge your potential ability at this point...take some lessons, play the thing every day, and learn songs...

Yes, lessons with a real instructor will provide some structure to the learning process. They will guide you to your goals.
Play as much as you can every day. And it's not just about practicing whatever your current lessons content dictates. PLAY for fun, too.

What they said, welcome aboard. Keep up with it, improvement comes in small measures with time. The more time per day the more improvement per day.

Welcome to the MWGL forum universal!

Like you, I started slow and I have continued to grow through the years. After picking up my first guitar, I thought it would be easy. After all, the songs I wanted to play only required about 3 chords. The problem was trying to change from chord to chord while strumming a rhythm. I was in seminary at the time, so my time was very limited due to my study schedule. I worked on putting everything together whenever I could, but after 6 months I was ready to give up. My left hand just seemed to be stupid. Instead of giving up, I decided to give it one more day, and that's when my left hand suddenly got smarter. Since then, I have been on the journey they call "playing guitar."

The best advice I can give you is to be as consistant as possible, because the major part of playing is teaching your muscles a new skill - your brain knows what you want to do, but your muscles have to be trained to do it. You are a little older, as I was, so it may take more time than it might have taken when you were in your 20's, but it is definitely something you can do - just don't let yourself get too discouraged along the way. If you get too discouraged, come here and vent. There are plenty of folks that will give you encouragement.

Oh, and if you're looking for lessons from a quality teacher, Mark Wein can instruct you over the internet.

What everyone else said, plus...

If you can hear the music in your head and feel it in your heart, then it's just a matter of getting out to your hands. Lessons are very helpful but not the be all, end all.
Good luck!

In person lessons are great. Online lessons are cool as well. Our host is a teacher at TrueFire.com. Justin Sandercoe on YouTube and at justinguitar.com is very helpful. There are a lot of other YouTube teachers. If you like video games Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 will help a lot.

In person lessons are great. Online lessons are cool as well. Our host is a teacher at TrueFire.com. Justin Sandercoe on YouTube and at justinguitar.com is very helpful. There are a lot of other YouTube teachers. If you like video games Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 will help a lot.

+1 on justinguitar.com

Like everyone else said, play as much as possible. Structured practice based upon lessons is very important, but just 'noodling' on the guitar while watching tv is also productive and often more fun.

Welcome. There are a lot if great people here, that can be very supportive and helpful. It's a great community. It's never too late to start playing. You get back what you put in. Enjoy the journey you are setting out on.

"I will beet a guitar instructor once every four months"

You should beat the instructor every day, just to keep 'em under your control.

My 2cents
Two 30 min sessions per day beats 1 hour long session.
So will four 15 min sessions.
I think 4 20-30 min periods per day is about perfect.

If you have an ear for it and the desire you are on your way faster than you think.

All good advice given above. +1 on lessons. When I started playing I didn't have that opportunity and it took me twice as long to get half as far. Welcome to the forum. I think you'll enjoy it here.

Back