First Tomato!

instantsteve

Glowing Cloud
Promptly eaten. I planted 1 cherry (Sun Sugar) and three heirlooms: Abraham Lincoln, Pruden's Purple, and Black Krim. Due to my lack of diligence and general laziness, they suffered from not getting enough water. I am going to try to buck them up and give them some fertilizer, but blossom end rot is going to hurt the Lincoln and Prudens badly. The Krim got a late start but didn't have the drought problem. It has one enormous tomato on it, and it reminds me of the Christmas tree in the Peanuts Christmas Special.

Anyway, the season is young!

Season's finishing here. We had tons of grape tomatoes and romas this year. We plant them in late winter and they start ripening in May. We've been picking them for a month and a half. When the 100 degree days start, they start to peter out.

My expectations are low. Hoping to do better next year. I am hoping for some great sauce from oven roasted heirloom tomatoes.

Season's finishing here. We had tons of grape tomatoes and romas this year. We plant them in late winter and they start ripening in May. We've been picking them for a month and a half. When the 100 degree days start, they start to peter out.
You have 2 seasoms. Till the yard and plant again in August.

We have two on our patio plant. One is just about ready, the other lagging a bit. Not gonna get greedy.

A friend at work gave me a chelate product to help calcium get into the roots of the tomato plants. That may help curtail the blossom end rot problem. She also gave me something made from kelp. Too early to see if that will help the big heirloom tomatos but the Sunsugar is starting to really load up with fruit. Fingers crossed!

The plants perked up a bit but I think that I really blew it with a bad start. The cherry tomatoes did the best. The black Krim is covered by small, flattish fruit that tend to rot on the bottom. Only 1 tomato! I think the Prudens Purple was mis-identified (although they are tasty) and the other plant has similar issues-lots of small tomatoes with discolored skin on the blossom end. There will be changes next year. No oven roasted heirloom tomato sauce this year. It was rainy and cold over the last few days, and the plants look like they are ready to croak.

Back