Fine, I'll just do it myself.

OGG

Master of the Meh
11 days til gig night. All efforts to assemble anything even resembling a band have been a bust. No way I will cancel the show so... I'll just Gawddammed do it myself. I don't need any help. I'll pocket the whole paycheck and have fun doing it. I figure I can break up the material into two groups: full acoustic, and full electronic. Even on the full electronic stuff I'll still be singing and playing guitar. It should at least sound good. Maybe not exactly a big "show", but I'm not getting paid to be Fucking Pink Floyd anyway.

Done.

Stupid question: are you well rehearsed for a solo show?

Really want to navel gaze? Video your solo act rehearsal, wait a day and give yourself a look.

Stupid question: are you well rehearsed for a solo show?

Really want to navel gaze? Video your solo act rehearsal, wait a day and give yourself a look.
Well rehearsed?

Hahaha lol!

Uh, no.

I've never done such a thing. Only done the occasional acoustic song or two at open mic nights.

It will like be chaotic, nerve wracking, and ultimately frustrating. I'm certain that the job of simply trying to manage it will require all of my attention. If I can manage to throw some jokes or short stories in between songs, that might help engage folks, but the music portion will be all business.

I'm scared shitless, but I know I can do it.

Well rehearsed?

Hahaha lol!

Uh, no.

I've never done such a thing. Only done the occasional acoustic song or two at open mic nights.

It will like be chaotic, nerve wracking, and ultimately frustrating. I'm certain that the job of simply trying to manage it will require all of my attention. If I can manage to throw some jokes or short stories in between songs, that might help engage folks, but the music portion will be all business.

The line between "this guy is a douche" and "this guy is pretty entertaining" is always pretty fine, but it's even finer when you're solo. It's one of those things that takes lots of practice to get really good at, but the main thing to remember is you don't have to talk.

When you do it's way easier to engage one person at a time vs the whole room.

I'll play a couple songs before I ever say anything. A good way to test the waters is say "happy (insert day of the week here)" If you get some wahoos or whatever, there are the folks that it will be easy to engage one at a time. They'll bring the rest of the crowd along. If there is no response, that can be ok. You just haven't reached them yet. If they just stare at you blankly, fuck em. They weren't going to have a good night anyway. Do your job, get your money, and get the fuck out.

I'm sure you can.

I'd try the act out in the privacy of your practice room first though. There may be some simple things that come up and you can be prepared.

Or not. Just go for it, strap on that guitar and go full Elvis.

Reactions: OGG
Do you have a looper? Perhaps you can save some loops to give your performance more 'oomph'. I have a boss arc-20xl I'm not using that I could FedEx to you if that would help. Like I said, I'm not using it, so you wouldn't have to be in a rush to send it back. PM me if you want to borrow it.

Do you have a looper? Perhaps you can save some loops to give your performance more 'oomph'. I have a boss arc-20xl I'm not using that I could FedEx to you if that would help. Like I said, I'm not using it, so you wouldn't have to be in a rush to send it back. PM me if you want to borrow it.
Thanks, I could never embrace loopers. I've had a few of them, my HD 500 has one built in. I may revisit them at some point. Right now I have enough to manage. :)

Thanks, I could never embrace loopers. I've had a few of them, my HD 500 has one built in. I may revisit them at some point. Right now I have enough to manage. :)

Break a leg, man. I know that you'll leave them dazed and confused, and begging for more!

UPDATE:

So after realizing I was totally and completely SCREWED on this deal, and that no way in HELL was I gonna pull it off, there's a new plan that will actually work and save my bacon.

My old friend, long time nemesis, and prolific local music legend Roger (Valentino Frankenstein) is going to sit in on electric drums while his GF/Keyboard player stands behind a bank of synths looking busy for my one 90 minute set.

His "band", The Atomic Blondes (which on this night will be just he and the GF/keyboardist) will do a 90 minute opening set of their own while I bang away on the EDrums.

It will be different, but it should sound good and look busy enough to entertain.

This guy is very much responsible for getting me into the music scene 30+ years ago. He's a little older, and was Already locally established when I met him. He was like a Rock Star to me. He listened to, and played all the "cool music". Very much a mentor.

My first Real band consisted of nothing but his former bandmates, and our first show back in 87 was opening for his new band.

We had some strange falling out a short time later and didn't speak for almost 3 decades. I reached out to him a couple of years ago and patched things up. A short time later, our bands shared a stage for the first time in 28 years. This Saturday will be the first time we actually play together in one band.

Back