Finally tried grilling a pizza.

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Would've turned out ok I think, but I spread the crust a bit thin and it got a small hole in it. Then the sauce dripped down on to the hot coals, causing a flare-up, resulting in a burnt crust :(

I even had it on a piece of foil, but the foil had a small hole in it too....probably both caused when I slid the pizza w/foil on to a plate to carry it out to the grill.

I'm thinking my liitle Weber Smokey Joe might almost be too small...the coals ARE awfully close to the bottom of the crust.

Any ideas on how to do it better next time on such a small grill?

Lol. I've done a ton of pizza that way and it's fantastic. Gives the top time to cook without burning the bottom.

I had never thought about doing that :idea:. I wonder if one could use the Baboli crusts that way?
I did notice others suggesting pre-grilling whatever toppings you are using first so the crust and the mandatory voluminous amounts of cheese required on a proper pizza do their thing with less grill time.

I had never thought about doing that :idea:. I wonder if one could use the Baboli crusts that way?
I did notice others suggesting pre-grilling whatever toppings you are using first so the crust and the mandatory voluminous amounts of cheese required on a proper pizza do their thing with less grill time.

If the cheese and toppings haven't cooked sufficiently, I'll throw the pizza under the broiler for a few seconds before serving

Jb: Quarry tiles or pizza stone is going to be the way to go with a small shallow bowl grill like the Joe

I've had people tell me that a pizza stone will break when used on a grill idn_smilie

What's the secret of having them not break?

I'll take some pictures today of the setup. Maybe get your coals going, then separate them so that the heat isn't direct. Do this by putting a bread pan (or some kind of pan)in the middle and the hot coals around the perimeter.

Coincidentally, I grilled pizza last night. It was the first time I pulled it off without any major issues. Yummy.

I use the big green egg with the indirect heat insert and a pizza stone. I let the BGE and the stone preheat a good hour or so. I start the pies off on a pizza pan deal, and about halfway through I slide them directly onto the stone.

I have found it is very important that the crust is even so I don't get any sauce or toppings leaking onto the stone. The crust can be pretty thin as long as it is even. I used a combination of tossing the crust (which I am not very good at) and the rolling pin.

1. use weber grill

2. Put your crust on a pizza peel. Spray the Grill Top real well and slide the raw dough right onto the grill grate. As it begins to bubble on the top, the bottom will be solidifed not burnt.

3. Using the peel, flip it over on the raw side for just a few minutes.

4. close bottom vent and top vent of weber

5. Then take it off (put lid on weber to choke coals) and bring crust into the kitchen. put FIRST side grilled down on the counter. Put on toppings.

6. Back on the peel and then back on the grill covered. Give it 10 to 15 mins. Keep close eye on it.

I lucked into a stainless steel circle that fits my webber like a flat top, and tried it once. The crust was not the best but otherwise it worked fine. The wife has gotten much better at making the crusts, so i think it might be time to give it another go.

1. use weber grill

2. Put your crust on a pizza peel. Spray the Grill Top real well and slide the raw dough right onto the grill grate. As it begins to bubble on the top, the bottom will be solidifed not burnt.

3. Using the peel, flip it over on the raw side for just a few minutes.

4. close bottom vent and top vent of weber

5. Then take it off (put lid on weber to choke coals) and bring crust into the kitchen. put FIRST side grilled down on the counter. Put on toppings.

6. Back on the peel and then back on the grill covered. Give it 10 to 15 mins. Keep close eye on it.

I do similar to this but I put the toppings on after I flip the crust and finish it under the broiler or in the oven if necessary

Back