Finally put my Silvertone 1484 cab back together

I always forget the impedance rule...
The overall impedance of the speakers can be higher than the setting in the amp...but not the other way around??
Is that how it works?
In other words, you're setup now is fine but if it were opposite (16 ohms on the amp but only 8 ohms wired in parallel) that's a problem?

The overall impedance of the speakers can be higher than the setting in the amp...but not the other way around??
Is that how it works?
In other words, you're setup now is fine but if it were opposite (16 ohms on the amp but only 8 ohms wired in parallel) that's a problem?

Correct. Someone gave me a simple way to remember it. Think of your amp as a faucet. If it is pumping out 8 gallons of water an 8 or 16 gallon container would be fine. If you throw on a 4 gallon container, you have a problem.

Is that how it works?

Except, solid state is the opposite. If it was the same, maybe I could remember it then.

So after hating the amp through its own cabinet I ran the head through my Suhr Badger cab (with it's Creamback speaker) and lo and behold it sounds pretty fucking good. The Silvertone cabinet is just a piece of shit.

Back