Finally put my Silvertone 1484 cab back together

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
IMG_4877.JPG

had to replace the input jack and jack plate and run new speaker wire today. Replaced the speakers (old vintage 30's) with a Scumback and a Celestion Greenback. Both speakers are new although they've been sitting around unused for a couple of years so I'm running some music through the amp from my computer for a while to break them in.

A little black paint goes a long way...:poke:
I might just park this cab and get an Avatar 2x12 anyway. The dimensions of the silvertone cab don't seem to give me what I want from a 2x12. We'll see once the speakers are broken in. I've never really played through this cab much since I always had other ones to use and this had some shitty v30's in it.

I might just park this cab and get an Avatar 2x12 anyway. The dimensions of the silvertone cab don't seem to give me what I want from a 2x12. We'll see once the speakers are broken in. I've never really played through this cab much since I always had other ones to use and this had some shitty v30's in it.
Look into the Splawn 2x12....he makes KILLER stuff. Iirc $400 unloaded.

Check out Peter Mather's stuff too.
Fwiw....I've not read one single bad review on the Splawn cabs.
Avatar has mixed reviews. Most people seem to like them a lot at first then realize there are better out there for not a lot more money.
The build quality on the Splawn products is ridiculously good. I can only confirm that on my amp since I don't have his cab.

Interesting.

RIght now I don't have the funds for it but it's in my plans for the year.
When I was shopping for my cab I wanted a ported one. I contacted Peter and he said he could make one. I ended up buying a port city cab. (which is hands down the best cab I've ever played.) But the Mather cab was really high on the list...

I've never cared for them in the first place but I bought these in 1994 and they're worn the fuck out.
Well, it sounds good in mine, and it's just broken in, really...but the guys on That Pedal Show just did a video on getting more from a Fender Hotrod Deluxe, and they replaced the generic Celestion it comes with with an Alnico Cream Celestion...and it's got me thinking...

Well, it sounds good in mine, and it's just broken in, really...but the guys on That Pedal Show just did a video on getting more from a Fender Hotrod Deluxe, and they replaced the generic Celestion it comes with with an Alnico Cream Celestion...and it's got me thinking...

I'll have to watch that one. I've been playing music through mine for the last few hours but I'm not digging how it sounds. And it is so much louder than I remember. I've got it wired in series to bring it down to 16 ohms and it is MASSIVELY loud.

I'll have to watch that one. I've been playing music through mine for the last few hours but I'm not digging how it sounds. And it is so much louder than I remember. I've got it wired in series to bring it down to 16 ohms and it is MASSIVELY loud.
Older ears? Or more efficient speakers, perhaps...

...I have a Jet City attenuator if you need one...

Yeah...I just need to play through it for a while. These things are either 40 or 60 watts so there is going to be some volume on tap but this is more than I remember.

hm. I tried the second input on each channel and it sounds a bit better if still loud. Of to Google I go.

Back