Finally decided on an amp

emmaporkchop

The face of emmaporkchop
Thanks again to everyone for the advice from my other thread, decided on a Peavey Classic 30, it ended up coming down between this or the Vox AC15 (still might end up getting one later on) but GC had a great deal on this one, should be here on Tuesday.
Also got a Fulltone Fulldrive pedal, always liked the sound of them and it was another deal that was hard to pass up. Help!I'maRock! suggested the Way Huge Red Lama and the demo's I've seen are pretty impressive so I'll probably track one of those down too.
So my next two questions are: What's a good speaker to replace the stock one? What other overdrive and fuzz pedals would you suggest?
Peavey C30 front.jpg Peavey C30 back.jpg Peavey C30 top.jpg

right on. For fuzz, I would go with something from Mojo Hand FX. I have the Iron Bell and I love it. I think Mark has their Crosstown fuzz and Help!I'maRock! I think had their Colossus for a while. Skreddy and Wren and Cuff make some pretty good ones too.

Congrats, emma! :thu:

Can't really get into the specifics of dirt pedal or speaker suggestions from experience, but depending on the tone you're looking for, give the Blue Marvel a spin before you change it out. When I had my C30, though, I thought it was the weakest part of the amp - too midrangey for me...

Happy New Amp Day!

There are going to be a thousand different recommendations for fuzz and overdrive so I'm just going to suggest listening to as many pedal demos as you can stand...

I am a huge fan of Eminence speakers and in particular their 12" Red, White and Blues model which is a fantadtic all around speaker for clean and dirty tones...if your preference tends more to the clean side listen to their Swamp Thang, and the Texas Heat if you play more on the dirty side...one advantage that all of the Eminence models has is they're LOUD! They'll make 30 watts sound huge...

HNA&PD

I fell in love with the Red White, and Blues too. I see a 16 ohm speaker in your pic. RW&Bs does not come in 16 ohms. My second choice was the Wizard.

Cool! :thu:
Any amp you are already interested in that is a good deal isn't something that should be passed up.

Congrats! Narrowing down a dirt pedal is one of the most daunting tasks in the quest for tone.

Congrats on the amp.

Recommend playing it with the stock speaker until it has a chance to break in. You might like it.

HNAD!

Give the stock Blue Marvel a chance. Depending on your setup, it might work great. If you start wanting "more" of something, though, it's probably the first change to try.

I followed some internet recommendations and put a Weber Blue Dog Ceramic in the combo I had. It did bring out that sweet EL84 treble but gave up too much bass. I ended up selling that amp -- wish I had it back.

Since then, I've learned I really like the Celestion/Mesa Black Shadow speaker. I have one in a Peavey open-back cab paired with a Classic 30 head and I don't want to change a thing. I'm planning to buy a couple more for a 2x12 cab.

You can get a shield to protect the tubes from the back. It might not be a problem but, if you're throwing it in with a bunch of other gear, stuff can poke in there and break the tubes. They were called "Tom's Tube Tamer" or something like that on eBay. Peavey eventually started making them part of the amps so you might be able to just order one from them.

A couple of other things on distortion sounds:

IMHO, the overdrive channel on these is really good. There's a slight bass cut in it but it works. I like to set it for a just-starting-to-break-up sound.

If I crank the preamp and push it with a boost, it can get as heavy squealie nasty as I want. It's a lot simpler than fussing with pedals.

But, since I love some fuzz, I'm addicted to the Mojo Hand Colossus through it. It's a Muff clone with the option to add some mids so it doesn't get lost in the mix.

I wanted to love my Rat through it but it just didn't work for me. That was too much midrange and too little bass.

I really like how my Marshall Jackhammer sounds through it. There are a few pedals out there based on the same basic design (Marshall Shredmaster and Guvnor).

Heck, even the lowly Boss DS-1 sounds pretty good with it.

Congrats! Narrowing down a dirt pedal is one of the most daunting tasks in the quest for tone.
That's kind of my problem, even though I can play some guitar and have had some really nice equipment in the past, I'm mainly a bassist so getting familiar with all the pedals and amps is pretty new territory to me.

HNAD!

Give the stock Blue Marvel a chance. Depending on your setup, it might work great. If you start wanting "more" of something, though, it's probably the first change to try.

I followed some internet recommendations and put a Weber Blue Dog Ceramic in the combo I had. It did bring out that sweet EL84 treble but gave up too much bass. I ended up selling that amp -- wish I had it back.

Since then, I've learned I really like the Celestion/Mesa Black Shadow speaker. I have one in a Peavey open-back cab paired with a Classic 30 head and I don't want to change a thing. I'm planning to buy a couple more for a 2x12 cab.

You can get a shield to protect the tubes from the back. It might not be a problem but, if you're throwing it in with a bunch of other gear, stuff can poke in there and break the tubes. They were called "Tom's Tube Tamer" or something like that on eBay. Peavey eventually started making them part of the amps so you might be able to just order one from them.

Shield for the tubes is one of the other purchases I'll be making.

right on. For fuzz, I would go with something from Mojo Hand FX. I have the Iron Bell and I love it. I think Mark has their Crosstown fuzz and Help!I'maRock! I think had their Colossus for a while. Skreddy and Wren and Cuff make some pretty good ones too.
I really like Wren and Cuff, passed up a few of their pedals for really cheap prices at a guitar show a couple years ago, just didn't need them at the time.

Back