Final Ruling for Air Travel With Musical Instruments

“One caveat: the airlines don’t have to prioritize musical instruments ahead of any other carry-on luggage, so if the bins are full, you’ll still have to check your instrument at the gate.”

In other words, don’t try flying without a good hard case.

“One caveat: the airlines don’t have to prioritize musical instruments ahead of any other carry-on luggage, so if the bins are full, you’ll still have to check your instrument at the gate.”

In other words, don’t try flying without a good hard case.
But then you'll never get it in the overhead anyway. At least for a guitar.

Fuck that just be nice to the stewardess, she'll hook you up.

60054-bar-refaeli-hot-stewardess-gif-uaHd.gif

Here's what's always worked for me:

1. Be crushingly nice to everyone working for the airline and on the plane
2. Pick your seats at the back of the cabin to get on early.
3. Check all your other luggage.
4. If 'required to gate check' offer to carry the guitar down. Just rip the tag off after rounding the bend.
5. Ask the flight attendants about coat closets or other storage.

Always worked for me.

I trust flight cases for most of my guitars. The more valuable ones... I'm not going to fly with them without good reason.

I've purchased extra seats for instruments before, though; it's pretty much mandatory for cellos.

I've had to deal with making arrangements for moving grand pianos coast-to-coast before, so I'm mostly unsympathetic to complaints of inconvenience or hassle. Lost or damaged is another story. Or if you buy a seat and they give it away. That is unacceptable.

I believe Jimmy Bruno had this problem a number of years back. He was trying to carry his guitar on and the air-cocktail waitress was giving him grief. He was polite, but firm in his insistence that he be allowed to carry it on. The pilot finally got involved grousing "that better be a f#cking Benedetto" , which, of course, it was. Pilot got to play it, Jimmy got to carry it.

The last time I flew with a guitar I got lucky that it was a Strat. I just took it apart and put it in my bag with my clothes :grin:

Back