fiddlytrons, filtertrons etc

angry tele

L'effet c'est moi
what are they? Ive got a squier cabronita coming and will probably put some TV Jones Classic Plus in
unless there are better options, vintage, GFS , Malcolm Young? whatever.
im assuming they are probably supposed to sound like PAFs like the dearmand goldfoils
i think around 5-6K...if the routes are the same size ideally i want to put a fideltron in the bridge
and a mini-humbucker in the neck
the minibuckers in my sg are awesome and are around 6K
they sound like more focused and brighter PAfs

TV Jones is kinda the gold standard for dearmond style pickups.
Sizes are not standard to Fender or Gibson. No idea what's involved in changing.

The Fender Fideletrons aren't all that bad.

Little darker than a TV Jones, but it's more a flavor rather than it being a bad thing.
You may like them. It should work well with a minibucker.

Lollar makes a set now. And GFS has a whole range of pickups based on Filtertrons.

Personally I prefer the Powertron / Powertron + combo. The bridge is more PAF/P90'ish in terms of punch but still gretschy. I don't care for the classics to much.

this is going in a tele, a basswood one.

are gfs good? tv jones are mad expensive I know that lol

What is it routed for? Or is it one big hole and you cover it with a pickguard?

If you don't want to spend big bucks, you can buy new Gretsch Filtertrons (MIJ and the same pickups in most new Gretsch Pro series guitars) for $70 each on fleabay.

I've only played one GFS pickup so I can't comment generally. The one I had was noisy and worth about what you'd expect for the price. Serviceable but otherwise unremarkable.

I have a set of the GFS Nashville Retrotrons.

There are two things in pickup marketing that are usually bullshit: "Just like a P90" and "Just like a Filtertron".

As best I can tell, the Nashville Retrotrons are just low-wind/low-output humbuckers with funky covers. There's nothing wrong with that. I like low-output humbuckers since they usually have better treble.

But there didn't seem to be anything special about them besides that. I certainly didn't get the impression painstaking research had gone into pole sizes, magnet arrangements, a certain thickness of wire for the wraps, etc., etc.

It just seemed liked they took a pretty standard humbucker, underwound it, and changed the magnet to get different output levels. Then they put a cool cover on it.

I didn't have any problems with microphonic feedback or anything. They sounded like bright, low-output humbuckers. That's about it.

Back