Fender Super Champ Questions

profgalen

Helper
I have a 1984 Super Champ amp (Not a SCXD) and I was wondering what the "Hum Balance" control on the back does? Also would it hurt the amp if I wired a parallel speaker out to the hard wired speaker wires? I would run an additional 8 ohm cab for a 4 ohm output. Can this amp work on 4 ohms?

That's what I thought it might be. That, or some type of noise gate, or some type of variable ground lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. The "hum balance" is on the tube filament/heater AC supply. It's a balance pot placed between the two 100 resistors used for ground reference in the 6.3v filament wiring. It's there to allow a tech to dial in and balance so that 3.15vac is fed into each side of the tube (or dial out any hum by ear). An unbalanced filament supply could cause hum, but is usually only noticeable in a hi-gain amp (or hi-fi). That was Rivera throwing in every idea in the tube textbook.

Scroll down to "Humdinger"
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html

2.) I would guess the amp would handle the 4-ohm load fine with a rebias. Output will be affected because you are changing the load the tube plates see.

Do not go below the expected speaker impedance. If the amp output expects 8 ohms, don't go below 8 ohms.

You can go to higher impedance but not lower.

Do not go below the expected speaker impedance. If the amp output expects 8 ohms, don't go below 8 ohms.

You can go to higher impedance but not lower.

Wrong. On a tube amp, it's safer to go lower.

Going higher on a high wattage amp can ruin power tubes or an output transformer from flyback voltage. It this case wea are talking about ~20 watts, chances of an issue going in either direction should be safe.

I wiered up a jack that cuts off the internal speaker when I use an extension cab. Sounds a lot better with a 1X12 cab with a Celestion G12P-80. I don't like the original Fender 10" speaker that's in it now. No bottom end. I ordered a Eminence Ragin Cajun to replace it. That should sound a lot better. I like the extension cab but I like the idea of a small combo for gigging better. It really is a great sounding amp with the right speaker. I'm hoping the Ragin Cajun does it.
I can't understand why they hard wired the speaker wires strait to the amp. no jack. They did however put a line out on the back to run it direct to a mixer.

Back