Fender musicmaster -- yea or nay?

bsman

b00b
Since I've recently bought a 1960 Musicmaster guitar -- one of the mostly forgotten Fenders -- I've been thinking it would be fun to get a Musicmaster bass amp -- also a neglected item in the pantheon of Fender products. They can be picked up all day for around $500, and I've heard they are terrible bass amps but actually decent for guitar (basically, a champ with a 12" speaker). Any opinions?

Musicmaster.jpg

$500 is too much - aside from that I would say go for it. The other guitar player in my last band owned two of those and played through them live quite often. I jammed through one several times and they are great sounding amps. Especially cranked up. He had a silver face and a black face.

I'ts a champ circuit in a larger cabinet. I passed one up at $275 and in hind sight should have gotten it but $500 is too much IMO.

I've owned 2. Really good guitar amp and they are a good bass amp if you aren't gigging. 12 watts just doesn't cut it live for a bass. $500 is too much though, you should be able to get them for under $400. There are 2 different versions, one uses 6v6 tubes and the other uses 6A5Q tubes that I am not familiar with. The one in your pic is 6v6, the ones with the regular black fender amp knobs are 6v6, the other has silver skirts on the knobs. The 2 I have owned were both 6v6 ones. I really have no idea what the difference is between the 2 other than the tubes and I don't know what the tube difference does to the sound.

MMBstepsRotated_Medium_.JPG

Back