Fender Bandmaster update with clips and new pics

I'll probably leave it as is, albeit with new tubes. I was kinda thinking out loud mostly. AOK It rocks pretty hard the way it is.

Just listened to the clips. My favorite is volume 5, treble 5, bass 6.

They all sound good though. AOK

*took another listen* Hmmmm very clean tone, but good tone nonetheless. I usually like a little more dirt in my clean if that makes sense.

Prages said:
Just listened to the clips. My favorite is volume 5, treble 5, bass 6.

They all sound good though. AOK

I remember reading somewhere that a classic setting for BF Bandmasters, Super Reverbs, and the like is based on sixes. V = 6, T = 6, B = 6, I = 3, and S=2 the 3X2 being 6, of course......

Regardless of that the amp sounds great and is one I would like have someday. They show up on Craigslist here in Atlanta from time to time but I never seem to have any extra $ when they do.

markwein said:
tele911 said:
I don't want to change the sound too much, I was looking to drop the wattage.

You're probably better off either using an attenuator like the THD hotplate or if you know how putting a master volume in it.

I personally wouldn't mess with it. though smi

I agree with Mark. It would be possible to use the new JJ 6V6S, it sounds more like a 6L6 than a 6V6 and it can take the higher voltage. I wouldn't try it with vintage/NOS 6V6s. You'd also have to run an 8 ohm speaker load on the 4 ohm output to effectively double the primary impedance. Or run a 16 ohm load on the 8 ohm tap. I'm not sure what the Bandmaster has. But this is dangerous; if your tubes go, they could take out the OT, and you don't want that to happen to a vintage amp. Best thing is to run the tubes the amp was designed for.

Your best bet is probably use an attenuator. A master volume circuit would require that the amp be modded. This is not a good idea with a vintage amp.

tung

Wow. I gotta admit that thing sounds pretty good. Im a hard rock/metal guy but I really like the way that sounds in your hands. I admit I started digging the Hendrix. biggrin

Back