Fender amp faceplates

Chad

Slender Hobbit
Anyone know where you can get custom or replacement amp face plates? I just bought a new cabinet for my Musicmaster amp and would like to get a new faceplate for it. It is a silverface one, but I would rather have a blackface one.

Chad, are you talking about the control faceplate, or a logo faceplate? If it's the control faceplate, there are a few places, including Ebay, but you have to be specific about what you want, because the hole patterns are different for different amps. If you just want the faceplate logo, then Fender has those.

I'm talking about this.
faceplate1.jpg

I can't imagine Fender sells those

Chad, are you talking about the control faceplate, or a logo faceplate? If it's the control faceplate, there are a few places, including Ebay, but you have to be specific about what you want, because the hole patterns are different for different amps. If you just want the faceplate logo, then Fender has those.

See above. Years ago there was a guy on eBay, and he actually had a website and he did custom ones. I can't find him anymore.

Ok, I wasn't sure if it was for the amp, or the cab. That's going to be much tougher, so I would go the Fender and ask them where you might be able to find one. I've done that with other manufacturers, and often get a recommendation.

Fender should, but doesn't have them. Mojotone.com has some but don't know if they will work for you. ebay is another option.

Musicmaster?...I doubt you'll find one.

There are a few sources for bootleg Fender faceplates...an eBay front for an amp supply shop; Tube Amp Doctor (won't ship faceplates directly to U.S. customers); a banned eBay seller who now operates a small website; etc., but they are are for much more "popular" models.

Plus, there was no historic blackface Musicmaster.

Fender faceplates require screen-printing, you have to get someone to laser cut and polish the faceplate and then someone to silkscreen on the blue and black paint for silverface and white paint (over black base) for blackface. That's what the current bootleggers do (to carying quality), but to do a "new" oke requires making all new silk screens.

All of the custom faceplate makers I know of only do laser-engraved plates

Last edited:
If you want something a bit less conventional you should email or FB message Luigi. Metalworking and etching is his thing.

Musicmaster?...I doubt you'll find one.

There are a few sources for bootleg Fender faceplates...an eBay front for an amp supply shop; Tube Amp Doctor (won't ship faceplates directly to U.S. customers); a banned eBay seller who now operates a small website; etc., but they are are for much more "popular" models.

Fender faceplates require screen-printing, you have to get someone to laser cut and polish the faceplate and then someone to silkscreen on the blue paint and then separately silk screen on the black paint. All of the custom faceplate makers I know of only do laser-engraved plates
Maybe @dougk or @telecaster911 might know somebody who knows somebody. That's all I can think of as far as that oddity.

I can knock something out of pickguard material for ya! Probably too thick at approx 0.115". I'd guess the original is probably 0.032" or thereabouts.

Plus, there was no historic blackface Musicmaster.

While not the typical period for blackface, the early 80s had blackface models.
bmm.jpg

I don't really care if it is an actual or recreation of one, hell, years ago there was a guy on eBay or the web who made them out of plastic (I got a brown face Princeton from him). It doesn't even have to say Musicmaster on it.

I can knock something out of pickguard material for ya! Probably too thick at approx 0.115". I'd guess the original is probably 0.032" or thereabouts.

That may work. I have a guy replacing the caps right now, when I get it back I'll check out the thickness. I think the plastic one I got years ago was even thicker than that. I wonder how a tort faceplate would look :grin:

Totally forgot about the early '80's "blackfaces".

If it's engraved plastic you want...that's easy. There are three companies that most DIY'ers and small custom builders rely on. All equally well regarded.
http://amplates.com/
http://www.precisiondesignin.com/
http://www.bnplasers.com/

Precision Design and BNP do the actual laser cutting and engraving. I believe Precision Design was (is?) a supplier for Weber. Amplates is actually just a designer, BNP cuts his plates for him and steers requested design work his way. They all say they won't reproduce trademarked artwork, but it doesn't hurt to ask how close they'll go.

Mojo just go into the custom engrave plastic faceplate biz as well. But...they others all have a 15-year reputation with amp builders.

Last edited:
Back