FCC Geeks, tell me what Rule 15 means.

Honkridge

UNACCEPTABLE!
The 2nd half of rule 15 says "this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation".

Why is this?

The 2nd half of rule 15 says "this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation".

Why is this?
If I had to guess, and I'm by no means an expert, but it's telling manufacturers of receivers to build their gizmos well enough and with enough shielding and/or filtering that it is able to counter and block interference.

If I had to guess, and I'm by no means an expert, but it's telling manufacturers of receivers to build their gizmos well enough and with enough shielding and/or filtering that it is able to counter and block interference.
Good guess.

To be FCC listed under part 15, your device must operate normally when subject to normal, authorized RF emissions from other sources.

It doesn't necessarily need to be shielded. It just needs to be able to whine about interference and keep working as designed.

Good guess.

To be FCC listed under part 15, your device must operate normally when subject to normal, authorized RF emissions from other sources.

It doesn't necessarily need to be shielded. It just needs to be able to whine about interference and keep working as designed.
It's been a while since I'd read all that stuff. I hold 2 FCC licenses and I had to know all that to pass the tests, and the GROL I tested for was over 20 years ago.

Just a guess. If it blocks other RF, doesn't that make it a jammer? Active jamming is illegal. I think laser is the only transmission you can legally jam as they have ruled that the FCC doesn't govern laser.

A
Just a guess. If it blocks other RF, doesn't that make it a jammer? Active jamming is illegal. I think laser is the only transmission you can legally jam as they have ruled that the FCC doesn't govern laser.
A device that only receives can't jam. Jamming is intentionally producing harmful transmissions of RF to block or make another receiver unreadable.

It's not blocking other RF for the purposes of making that RF unavailable. So, it's not jamming at all.
It's just saying that in the presence of that other RF, your shit better still work.

Electronic devices can produce their own RF interference even if they aren't a radio transmitter per se. A lot of processors now have clock speeds that operate at frequencies that operate in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, which is commonly used in Wi-Fi and cordless telephones. If the circuit card is not designed properly it can emit RF interference, this regulation is there to ensure that doesn't happen. Additionally an RF receiver must deal with any interference it gets in a passive way that doesn't introduce more interference into the spectrum (it can't emit a jammer to take over the frequency).

Electronic devices can produce their own RF interference even if they aren't a radio transmitter per se. A lot of processors now have clock speeds that operate at frequencies that operate in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, which is commonly used in Wi-Fi and cordless telephones. If the circuit card is not designed properly it can emit RF interference, this regulation is there to ensure that doesn't happen. Additionally an RF receiver must deal with any interference it gets in a passive way that doesn't introduce more interference into the spectrum (it can't emit a jammer to take over the frequency).

a number of smart phones also produce RF that can interfere with tv reception. had the problem with the idiot who lived above me.

a number of smart phones also produce RF that can interfere with tv reception. had the problem with the idiot who lived above me.

Wireless microphones, too.

Learned that years ago on a live TV broadcast with Martha Stewart. It was NOT a good thing.

Microwave ovens are notorious interference generators. All the other crap in your house (e.g. wireless phones, routers, etc.) need to be designed to work in the presence of this interference.

Back