Favourite Jazz basses

Fumbles

Communist Chocolate Hellhole
Considering possibly maybe getting a passive 4 string jazz bass sometime. There's a wide range of options. What are the differences in the price ranges that you've noticed? Build quality, hardware, electronics. I've heard some good things about the Geddy Lee usa models. Marcus Miller has a nice one I think.

:confused:

I got a cheapo J&D from the Music Store in Cologne. It's fine, I guess. The ones the bass people seriously rave about are the Fender road-worn series. If I had a budget I'd be checking those out first. The Marcus Miller/Sire ones are mostly distinguished in having good active electronics and a five string option and being very "good for the price". (And a mad fretboard curvature.)

I really like the feel of the Geddy Lee. But I have Standards that feel good too. Fender used to make a Marcus Miller model. Those are now made by Sire and only sold online. But they are very highly regarded. I'd consider a MM if I needed another bass.

I have played a friend's Geddy Lee Jazz several times. It was a well-built instrument. I really liked the neck on it. Seemed pretty heavy to me, though.

The Fender Reggie Hamilton is pretty sweet, too. I only played one briefly in a store, but I really liked it. They are about $800, I think.

I don't play bass in a band, so I bought a used Squier James Johnston Jazz bass (it's a Classic Vibe Jazz) to fill my GAS for a Jazz bass. Nicely constructed instrument that plays really nice. Sounds good. Prior owner installed a BadAss bridge on it, too. Hard to beat at $250 (used). They are about $400 new.

US15032879-front-large.jpg

(Or the more affordable version)

750-JBass70OWT_front.jpg

I really like the Adam Clayton model:

US15075454-front-large.jpg

But IMO the best option is find a LPB jazz bass with a maple neck, put a tortoise guard on it, some flats and play the fuck out of it.

Thanks for the replies:)

I really like the Reggie Hamilton, but I'm not sure how different the noiseless jazz pickups differ sound-wise to a normal jazz pickup- are they just stacked humbuckers, or true noiseless singles? I remember reading about noiseless single coils here somewhere. Also wondering how the P bass neck pickup sounds compared to a neck jazz pickup. It has a switchable active mode, which I guess adds to it's tonal versatility.

The Geddy Lee is a good option, but I'd like to add a hipshot bass extender to the low E string. Love how subtle looking the inlays are against the maple fretboards. I prefer maple fretboards actually, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Wondering if maple fretboards add more snap to the tone? Like the heavier bridge material.

Based on color alone I love the Ice Blue Metallic version of the 66 Journeyman Jazz bass. Wondering why in the world they used to make these basses with those huge bridge covers though. Apparently a lot of people must have taken them off, judging by how rarely I see live footage of anyone playing with that on it.

It would be a lot of fun to make a franken-jazz, make it the way I want it, but I'm wondering how difficult that would be for someone as mechanically or technically inept as I am. I can follow instructions though, if they are clear.

School_for_the_Mechanically_Declined.jpg

My G&L ASAT bass has a very jazz-like neck. Very versatile and fun to play. The Adam Clayton model above is hot. :love:

Holy late replies Batman!

Nice Bass!Totally_jammin_out

Do you plan on modding it, or keeping it as is?

I play Hamer 2 Tek Cruise basses, basically jazz bases but I find them much more comfortable, sound great and better built than Fenders. But I don't like fender Jazz bases so that's really not fair I guess.
I think G&L or Lakland would be very good choices too and you could find good prices on any of these used.

Back