Favorite exercises for building tech skills?

For Bach buy this:

51z8A-zuTGL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1562240412...0412&adid=1QHR3XZRQP477QMQD3XQ&&link_code=as3

For Kreutzer download this:

Kreutzer-for-Guitar.jpg

http://www.guitarheads.org/guitarhe...php?id=1&sid=a8895152d9993aca545829c21bb86df3

My guitar teacher Allen Hanlon (or Alan Hanlon in some cases) handed me both these books back in the 70's and both have been constants in my practice and playing schedule since then.

Find a song that requires speed and accuracy to play and learn it.

So ... uh. Here's (maybe) my problem: at this point, I have very, very little interest in playing music other than my own. I can work on the harder parts of my own songs, but I feel like I'm always writing instead of working on technique.

Additionally, I have next to no interest in most traditional forms.

I swear, I'm not saying this to be difficult. I just have an approach to music that is unlike most people on guitar fora, and from time to time I wish I could pull a rabbit and wind up with nothing. I'd do better with exercises, I think, than songs. It's how my mind works.

Yngwie didn't use the drill, Paul Gilbert did.

We have to send you back to the '80s Randy, sorry.

Yngwie is from the 80's as well and if you aren't willing to put in the time to pick fast, I gave you an alternative.

Oh yeah - Gilbert used a 9volt Makita, but this one goes to 18!

Yngwie is from the 80's as well and if you aren't willing to put in the time to pick fast, I gave you an alternative.

Oh yeah - Gilbert used a 9volt Makita, but this one goes to 18!
I doubt I could teach myself alternate fast picking, I need lessons.

So ... uh. Here's (maybe) my problem: at this point, I have very, very little interest in playing music other than my own. I can work on the harder parts of my own songs, but I feel like I'm always writing instead of working on technique.

I swear, I'm not saying this to be difficult. I just have an approach to music that is unlike most people on guitar fora, and from time to time I wish I could pull a rabbit and wind up with nothing. I'd do better with exercises, I think, than songs. It's how my mind works.

I think that skipping steps can do more harm than good. There are plenty of players who focused entirely on scales and exercises and who neglected etudes, pieces, traditional forms, etc., and all of their improvisations end up sounding like scales and exercises. And there's good reason; where improvisation is concerned, muscle memory can be a dangerous thing as it is a blessing.

Your analogy of a magician is a useful one; appearing effortless is something that requires study and practice.

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be blunt. But music is, in some respects, no different from any other discipline. If you say that you're only interested in creating your own stuff and not interested in absorbing and dissecting other stuff, then you're ending up reinventing the wheel. Imagine an engineer, architect, clothing designer, etc., trying to pull off that line.

I am very interested in reinventing the wheel. It was a good invention. I worked for close to a decade with really good artists, and I'm happy with my creative vision. Sharing that so you know ... I'm not easy. For decades I did not like my writing. Now, I do. And I'm happy with my production and engineering, albeit never wanting to stop learning.

I just want to fret notes more cleanly.

I'm here too, I'm also not interested in learning the music of others anymore nor do I look to learn a lot of scale boxes. I have natural hand and finger movements that feel good to me (with arthritis seemingly coming on more each day it nice to still have some). I look at artists watch them and incorporate things they have done into my natural areas. I play a lot with myself (funny) using my Boss looper. Will whip out some chords of my own or to a song I know and then solo over it and record more parts. I spend hours doing it sometimes.

Back