Favorite 12AX7s for your JMP-type Marshall?

GilmourD

Eater of Worlds
Staff member
Just picking everybody's brain as far as what 12AX7s are preferred in JMP-type Marshalls. You know, V1 with those two gain stages in parallel, V2 having a gain stage and the cathode follower, and V3 being the PI.

I know the Tung-Sol reissues tend to die horrible painful deaths in the cathode follower position because they're not spec'd properly for the voltage difference between the heater and the cathode, and sometimes that's a problem in the PI, too.

A lot of people seem to really like the square getter 8th generation and round getter 9th generation Chinese tubes in V2.

What do you like in yours and why?

Nobody has a Plexi-type circuit? :foreveralone:

LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if my Badger 30 would qualify...
It looks like it would. The preamp looks like it's cascaded instead of parallel on the first couple gain stages, but the tubes perform the same functions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX using Tapatalk

I think there are JJs in the 1987x that I have. I haven't had it apart yet. Sounds killer whatever is in there.

I like the Mullard cv4004 and the tung sol s. Mullards have all the gain and really are quiet. The pretty hardy too

Ive got them in my MK II jmp and a couple of my other marshalls. Ive got the tung sol in my marshall 18watt and vibro champ

Back