Hot or Not? Fancy Fender Edition

Deep Eddy

Argle Bargle or Foofaraw?
I saw these Fender Select Jazzmasters at Chicago Music Exchange, and yet I don't recall anyone on the board mentioning them or having one. Fender appears to be targeting the market niche often filled by the boutique builders.

What say ye?

Summary

Body: Flame maple top on chambered alder body

Neck: Birdseye maple neck with a medium-round profile, 1.685” wide nut, channel-bound rosewood fretboard, 9.5”-14” compound radius, and block inlays

Pickups/Hardware: Locking Fender tuners, two humbuckers, three-way pickup selector switch, volume and tone controls

Cosmetic Condition: There are a few finish chips along the bottom edge of the lower bout as well as some light surface scratches on the back of the body. There is also a small chip along the back contour and along the treble side of the guitar. The neck and headstock both look and feel like-new. Besides a few chips in the finish this Jazzmaster is looking good!

Playability: The strings are low, play great, and ring out clearly across the board.

Modifications/Repairs: None

Weight: 7lbs 15oz

1_f83a30e6-77b4-448c-9736-dad936fdbd49.jpg

I like it, but except for the body it has no resemblance to a Jazzmaster whatsoever. Call it something different ffs.

Reactions: Tig
It’s horrible. The arched top that wrecks that jazzmaster design by making it appear to be an undulating amorphism. I hoped that this was an illusion created by harsh lighting and tight zoom. But every front shot of this guitar, and others with different finishes, has the same problem. Looks great from behind, tho.

I like the new take on the neck binding thing, but the rest of it doesn't work for me. I think Chad has it right, it lost everything that made the jazz master cool.

I kinda like it.

I like the Kauers a lot better though :)

What's the scale length on them? 25.5", or 24"?

Back