family mojo please

If he's young there's hope his frontal cortex will finally fully develop and he will begin making rational decisions.
I know personally that emotional injury inflicted on children takes a lot of work and time to correct.
I also hope he has supportive people where he lives.
Much Mojo, Paula.

Family mojo hugs to you, Paula.
It sounds like he needs quite a bit of help, but first he has to get to the point of asking for it. You can only do so much (but don't give up). He has to want to get better, and then it will take professional counseling and likely some med's.

Thanks guys. Just needed to vent. He deliberately makes it hard to be close to him. He is abrasive and rude. But he is my brother and he and I share a lot of messed up history. I want to help him and see him happy, but I honestly think he thrives off of his misery.

@IamSeaDevil, thanks for sharing. Knowing that, it makes me even happier to see all of your happiness now.

He's 9 years older than Mrs. P, so being young isn't the culprit. (Sorry, Paula)

The hardest part is that he calls us to vent, and seems to ask for help, and we give it, but then he acts like we're against him.

And he makes horrible decisions, both personally and financially (and they are most often intertwined).

I really do think that he just thinks he's supposed to be poor and miserable. When he lived with us, he spent 6 months playing video games and wondering why he didn't have a job or any friends. We finally had to tell him to get out of the house, or "get out of the house".

He chose to "get out of the house".

I just don't know how to help him.

mojo to you guys.

ya know, sometimes a person may not really KNOW what it is to not be miserable. they don't know the path to "better"......and after a life of it, may not believe it's possible or "worth the bother", especially if they percieve that they will only end up back where they are now.

just sayin'

Prayers and mojo to Mrs P's bro and for both of you two as well.

I'm going through my own private hell right now so I can relate how easy it is to just crawl into a fetal position and be pitiful. I can't do that but there are days it seems attractive. I think everyone can relate to this on at least some level. Thanks for sharing. We are always here to vent to. God knows I have done that here often enough.

Back