Fallout 4

Chad

Slender Hobbit
I need a little help. My 12 and a half year old daughter wants Fallout 4 for her X-Box.

Do any of you guys play it? Would you let your daughter play it? What in the game gives it an M?

She has seen the Harry Potter flicks, all of the Star Wars movies, and all of the super hero flicks except Deadpool.

What gives it an M rating ..... a couple things. Depends if YOU are fine with her seeing it and if she has the maturity. I should preface this by saying that I play on the PC and have a whole bucketload of mods that do a lot of different things to the game. Themes of the game.... it's basically a shoot 'em up. Kill the hostiles before they get you thing. Right out of the gate, the protagonist's spouse gets killed, and your baby son is kidnapped. The main quest involves finding him and seeing what happens. There is truly some next level shit that goes on.

First off is the gore factor. I don't have any mods for it and I routinely blow heads off with my sniper rifle. Secondly is drug & alcohol use. The main 'heal me up' in the game is a Stimpack. You basically are jabbing a big needle into yourself and injecting fluid. Things called chems that can either help or act like psychoactive drugs. Speech is a bit rough at times, especially from raiders & gunners. They have a nasty habit of swearing at you or at your companions. There are mods coming out for xBox that will allow changes to be made.

I would suggest going up on youtube and check out some of the playhrough videos. There are a couple folks who posted up 15-30 minute videos of how they did things, and it's all recorded as the guy is playing. Hope this helps a little bit.

What gives it an M rating ..... a couple things. Depends if YOU are fine with her seeing it and if she has the maturity. I should preface this by saying that I play on the PC and have a whole bucketload of mods that do a lot of different things to the game. Themes of the game.... it's basically a shoot 'em up. Kill the hostiles before they get you thing. Right out of the gate, the protagonist's spouse gets killed, and your baby son is kidnapped. The main quest involves finding him and seeing what happens. There is truly some next level shit that goes on.

First off is the gore factor. I don't have any mods for it and I routinely blow heads off with my sniper rifle. Secondly is drug & alcohol use. The main 'heal me up' in the game is a Stimpack. You basically are jabbing a big needle into yourself and injecting fluid. Things called chems that can either help or act like psychoactive drugs. Speech is a bit rough at times, especially from raiders & gunners. They have a nasty habit of swearing at you or at your companions. There are mods coming out for xBox that will allow changes to be made.

I would suggest going up on youtube and check out some of the playhrough videos. There are a couple folks who posted up 15-30 minute videos of how they did things, and it's all recorded as the guy is playing. Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks. That helped a ton. I'll check out youtube.

Good enough. If you want to check out mods, look for videos from a guy named MXR. Most of what he reviews are for the PC, but you'll get a good idea of what the community is capable of. It's not all about making girls with gigantic boobs, massively trashy outfits and toting around overpowered guns. Check out the War never changes thread, I posted up a series of pics from my game if you like.

Watch a dude named John who publishes under Many A True Nerd. He does run throughs of the full game with additional conditions, such as beating it without using a weapon, or "kill everything" where you can't run from a fight and need to minimize enemy respawns.

There are some mature themes, such as addiction (including one companion that as part of their quest where you can help them overcome addiction or go all in), language, kidnapping (main plot point), and murder, but there aren't too many overtly sexual moments, unless you CHOOSE to take it down that direction. If it was me, I'd probably let her play it as there's very little in game that she doesn't hear at school and it's a really creative game with a lot to do. Maybe just let her play it with supervision?

Watch a dude named John who publishes under Many A True Nerd. He does run throughs of the full game with additional conditions, such as beating it without using a weapon, or "kill everything" where you can't run from a fight and need to minimize enemy respawns.

There are some mature themes, such as addiction (including one companion that as part of their quest where you can help them overcome addiction or go all in), language, kidnapping (main plot point), and murder, but there aren't too many overtly sexual moments, unless you CHOOSE to take it down that direction. If it was me, I'd probably let her play it as there's very little in game that she doesn't hear at school and it's a really creative game with a lot to do. Maybe just let her play it with supervision?

Any new game is played with me until I see it is ok unless it it obviously fine.

Thanks for the YouTube name. I'll give it a look. My wife was reading a review where it mentioned rape in the game. Language is one thing, and I'd have to see the violence first, rape would really be a no dice for the game.

Thanks!

Any new game is played with me until I see it is ok unless it it obviously fine.

Thanks for the YouTube name. I'll give it a look. My wife was reading a review where it mentioned rape in the game. Language is one thing, and I'd have to see the violence first, rape would really be a no dice for the game.

Thanks!

AFAIK, that is just a PC mod; it's a rule 35 thing. I haven't seen any rape in the game and I have probably 400+ hours in it over multiple playthroughs.

AFAIK, that is just a PC mod; it's a rule 35 thing. I haven't seen any rape in the game and I have probably 400+ hours in it over multiple playthroughs.

Excellent point. There is no actual romance or sex in the game let alone rape. And I have a couple hundred hours in myself.

Content wise the Fallout 3/4 games are about as ultra violent as it gets today. You can use a sniper rifle to see slow-motion zoom shots of exploding heads with blood and gore out of a Tarantino movie. At times the Fallout 3/4 games straddle the line between gore for the sake of shock and gore for the sake of humor.

I would not recommend it for a twelve year old because open world games are engineered time sinks. A kid that age should be focused on something that will benefit her in the future like learning a foreign language or reading The Economist. I wish my parents had cut off my gaming habit when I was in middle school.

Content wise the Fallout 3/4 games are about as ultra violent as it gets today. You can use a sniper rifle to see slow-motion zoom shots of exploding heads with blood and gore out of a Tarantino movie. At times the Fallout 3/4 games straddle the line between gore for the sake of shock and gore for the sake of humor.

I would not recommend it for a twelve year old because open world games are engineered time sinks. A kid that age should be focused on something that will benefit her in the future like learning a foreign language or reading The Economist. I wish my parents had cut off my gaming habit when I was in middle school.

She gets 1 hour of screen time a day, that is any combo of iPad, tv or Xbox. No more. I'm not really worried about the time sink, I work from home, so I am able to monitor it.

My 10 year old, mature for his age, never hurt a fly, doesn't like people being made fun of, goody 2 shoes son plays it and is fine. But that's me and that's him.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I played a ton of GTA Online lately. It's appalling how many tween boys play and how warped and violent some of their thinking is. (Some of the adults that play are even worse of course). Hearing a squeaky voiced ~12 year old talking like a deranged combat vet is disturbing.

I don't think I'll let my kids play violent video games of any sort when they're old enough. No video games at all if I can help it. My wife gives me shit for playing once in a blue moon, so they're screwed on that front anyway.

I played a ton of GTA Online lately. It's appalling how many tween boys play and how warped and violent some of their thinking is. (Some of the adults that play are even worse of course). Hearing a squeaky voiced ~12 year old talking like a deranged combat vet is disturbing.

I don't think I'll let my kids play violent video games of any sort when they're old enough. No video games at all if I can help it. My wife gives me shit for playing once in a blue moon, so they're screwed on that front anyway.
Online is certainly a different story. I am VERY intolerant of that stuff and monitor my son closely. Luckily he's the type that will log off when the swearing starts anyway. I like to think I've done well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She gets 1 hour of screen time a day, that is any combo......
If she is okay with that, then great for you folks. But playing this game for only an hour a day is a tease IMHO. I predict copious amounts of whining. But I don't know your kids, so I couldn't guess how they are gonna react.

Back