FaaaK!

Steverino

black sheep
Just drove through a hailstorm on the way in. Nowhere to hide. I pulled over, but I've got paint chipped. I got to work to inspect the damage, and stopped counting at 5 on the hood.

A brand new (2016) car.

Crap! That's frustrating.

Our Highlander was caught in a hailstorm and got dimpled when it was brand new also. :mad:

Crap! That's frustrating.

Our Highlander was caught in a hailstorm and got dimpled when it was brand new also. :mad:

Grape-sized hail, no dimples that I can see (car is still wet), but at least half a dozen chips on the hood. Haven't checked the roof. I'm sure there's more.

Surely, in this day and age, there's a way to fill those chips and buff it out. I do not want a respray from some local shop. This is a brand new color from Ford.

you're going to probably need to address the bodywork and the chips. from just the paint pov, you can go dr. colorchip (which isn't great when the chip goes past the primer under the color coat...hard to build. $$ but it's a one stop bubba proof solution) or touchup paint from the dealer/online vendor like tower. There's plenty of vids out there on chip and scratch touchup using a few different techniques

you're going to probably need to address the bodywork and the chips. from just the paint pov, you can go dr. colorchip (which isn't great when the chip goes past the primer under the color coat...hard to build. $$ but it's a one stop bubba proof solution) or touchup paint from the dealer/online vendor like tower. There's plenty of vids out there on chip and scratch touchup using a few different techniques

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. Depending on the total number chips I find, I may try this myself. The chips I've seen so far are down to the primer/sealer, but not down to the metal.

When I lived in South Dakota a dude that worked at a car dealership said they started with dry ice to try and pop out hail damage. Give Youtube a search. I've also heard of using a heat gun and compressed air will pop some out.

Mojo. We had to deal with hail aftermath last year. Good news: new shingles and siding. Bad news: $2000 deductible :( (had I have known... :mad: )

Back